Pa. gubernatorial candidate Schwartz accidentally calls husband of rival, McGinty
In the hours before a Monday campaign finance deadline, a Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate contacted an unlikely supporter: an opponent's spouse.
Rep. Allyson Schwartz dialed the cell number of Karl Hausker, husband of fellow Democratic gubernatorial primary candidate Katie McGinty, a McGinty campaign spokesman said. Schwartz introduced herself as a congresswoman running for governor. Then the conversation turned.
“She never made the hard ask,” said McGinty spokesman Mike Mikus. “He said something along the lines of, ‘I need to interrupt you. I'm Katie McGinty's husband.' ”
McGinty wasn't home when Schwartz called. Mikus said McGinty was surprised, but “laughed it off.”
Mikus said the Schwartz campaign likely had Hausker's number because he donated to Democrats such as President Obama.
Mark Bergman, spokesman for Schwartz, said the call was “an inadvertent dial,” and there was no conversation about money. The campaign so far has a strong showing from individual donors, with more than 10,000 representing every county in the commonwealth, Bergman said.
Monday was the end of the first cycle for campaign finance reporting from 2014 primary candidates. Reports must be filed by April 8.
Also running in the Democratic primary are York County businessman Tom Wolf and state Treasurer Rob McCord.
Melissa Daniels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fallout from child protection law felt in Pa. churches, libraries, fields
- Va. trucker hit Mega Millions jackpot in Pa.
- Medical pot has advocate in Pennsylvania House
- Evidence for charge not found in Pa. case
- Probe continues in fatal shooting in Sharon hospital parking lot
- Pennsylvania Senator Casey pushes for railroad bridge inspectors
- Lawrence power plant being converted to gas from coal
- 2001 same-sex union recognized despite partner’s death