Beaver County men accused of crimes during PSU drinking holiday
Two Beaver County men have been charged with a series of burglaries during State Patty's Day weekend on the Penn State campus in State College.
Monaca residents Jesse Hribar, 22, a Geneva College student, and Andrew Ronczka, 23, a University of Pittsburgh student, surrendered for arraignment at District Judge Carmine Prestia's office on Friday.
Both are charged with multiple counts of burglary and criminal trespass, as well as related crimes — including criminal conspiracy to commit burglary, theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property.
Attempts to reach them on Saturday for comment were not successful.
State Patty's Day, a student-devised drinking holiday, fell on March 1, drawing students and young adults to the area for a weekend of partying.
On March 2, police began responding to reports of thefts at a variety of apartments in the Meridian II building at 646 E. College Ave. Later, more incidents were reported at University Towers at 458 E. College Ave.
In reviewing surveillance video from the apartment complexes, police saw two men wandering the halls, testing doors and entering apartments. Video and still images were released to media, and according to Lt. Keith Robb, they “went viral.” On March 18, an anonymous tip was received from the defendants' hometown, identifying them and providing phone numbers.
Robb said that when police contacted the two men, they said they were expecting the calls and did not deny involvement.
According to court documents, both defendants admitted to stealing numerous items, including electronics such as iPods and Beats Pill speakers, cash and sunglasses.
Police said the total value of all the stolen items is more than $2,000.
Both were released after arraignment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Magicians conjure up efforts to restore Houdini’s gravesite
- Ex-House Democratic leader DeWeese seeks new trial
- Researchers at Pa.’s top universities take to the web to fund projects
- 7 hurt in buggy, SUV crash in Pennsylvania Dutch country
- $250,000 in Rolexes taken from Altoona mall
- Pa. Senator Casey pushes lawmakers on VA disability bill
- Conneaut Lake Park to take case to court for tax-exempt status
- Crawford County man gets prison — and lecture — for tattooing 12-year-old