Mercer County man drowns saving boy in Mexico
FARRELL — A Mercer County man drowned while saving a young boy caught in rough surf while the man was vacationing in Cancun, Mexico.
Jeff Brown, 50, of Farrell was vacationing with his girlfriend, Tracy Duez, and several other couples when he died on Wednesday.
Duez' sister, Wendy Donner, says Brown entered the water to save the boy even though there were red flags on the beach warning of a dangerous undertow. Witnesses say Brown helped the boy onto a life buoy but was himself caught in the undertow and died.
The J. Bradley McGonigle Funeral Home is handling arrangements. A worker there says the arrangements were incomplete Monday, while the staff worked to confirm arrangements to fly Brown's body back to western Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- More than 500 migrant kids sent to Pennsylvania
- Philly Nazi suspect dies as extradition request OK’d
- Upper St. Clair family’s efforts pay as governor signs Down syndrome education bill
- Pa. pension costs pull from school districts, college students, turnpike
- Mother, maternal grandparents charged in abuse of Mercer County boy
- 2 Greene County residents charged with killing 3 in W.Va.
- Stronger laws in play in Mercer County starvation case
- Environmental groups win in open records case against Corbett
- Pennsylvania liquor licenses are considered ‘better than gold’
- GM ignition switch woes spur Casey, Blumenthal to propose anti-harm bill
- Rock injuries prove motorists’ vulnerabilities