Mercer County man drowns saving boy in Mexico
FARRELL — A Mercer County man drowned while saving a young boy caught in rough surf while the man was vacationing in Cancun, Mexico.
Jeff Brown, 50, of Farrell was vacationing with his girlfriend, Tracy Duez, and several other couples when he died on Wednesday.
Duez' sister, Wendy Donner, says Brown entered the water to save the boy even though there were red flags on the beach warning of a dangerous undertow. Witnesses say Brown helped the boy onto a life buoy but was himself caught in the undertow and died.
The J. Bradley McGonigle Funeral Home is handling arrangements. A worker there says the arrangements were incomplete Monday, while the staff worked to confirm arrangements to fly Brown's body back to western Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-House Democratic leader DeWeese seeks new trial
- Researchers at Pa.’s top universities take to the web to fund projects
- 7 hurt in buggy, SUV crash in Pennsylvania Dutch country
- $250,000 in Rolexes taken from Altoona mall
- Crawford County man gets prison — and lecture — for tattooing 12-year-old
- Beds needed for thousands hoping to see pope in Philly
- DEP awaiting tests for ‘cat urine’ smell in New Castle
- Ohio woman shot to death nearly 3 days before police find body in Neshannock home
- Conneaut Lake Park to take case to court for tax-exempt status
- Kane’s office backtracks on prosecution in email scandal
- Pennsylvania legislative leader Costa blasts suggestion of session before Wolf sworn in as governor