Mercer County man drowns saving boy in Mexico
FARRELL — A Mercer County man drowned while saving a young boy caught in rough surf while the man was vacationing in Cancun, Mexico.
Jeff Brown, 50, of Farrell was vacationing with his girlfriend, Tracy Duez, and several other couples when he died on Wednesday.
Duez' sister, Wendy Donner, says Brown entered the water to save the boy even though there were red flags on the beach warning of a dangerous undertow. Witnesses say Brown helped the boy onto a life buoy but was himself caught in the undertow and died.
The J. Bradley McGonigle Funeral Home is handling arrangements. A worker there says the arrangements were incomplete Monday, while the staff worked to confirm arrangements to fly Brown's body back to western Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PSU employee kicks cancer, picks up degree
- Secret Santa saves the day for York County senior center residents
- Licensing boards increase fees to cover costs that include investigations
- Liquor Control Board, Pennsylvania universities target problem drinking
- Sandusky won’t get his pension back
- Most Penn State trustees boycott special meeting on legal action against football program
- LCB ruling could mean home-delivered beer in Pa.
- Chronic wasting disease in deer may be game changer in Pa.
- Philly officer kills man in traffic stop struggle
- Former Marines who served with alleged killer said couple fought constantly
- Erie man charged with 1990 slaying of Virginia Beach woman