Mercer County man drowns saving boy in Mexico
FARRELL — A Mercer County man drowned while saving a young boy caught in rough surf while the man was vacationing in Cancun, Mexico.
Jeff Brown, 50, of Farrell was vacationing with his girlfriend, Tracy Duez, and several other couples when he died on Wednesday.
Duez' sister, Wendy Donner, says Brown entered the water to save the boy even though there were red flags on the beach warning of a dangerous undertow. Witnesses say Brown helped the boy onto a life buoy but was himself caught in the undertow and died.
The J. Bradley McGonigle Funeral Home is handling arrangements. A worker there says the arrangements were incomplete Monday, while the staff worked to confirm arrangements to fly Brown's body back to western Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cochranton farm specializes in growing out-of-season vegetables
- As House looks to dismantle state stores, hybrid system might be option
- ‘Tipping point’ near for Pa. government, conservative expert predicts at Freedom Forum
- Pa. Senate approves ‘paycheck protection’ constitutional amendment
- Liquor privatization bill clears Pennsylvania House panel
- Walking gets increasingly deadly for pedestrians in Pa.
- 242 Pennsylvania workers not state residents
- Progress, challenges cited in 50-year Appalachia report