Police: Mercer County track coach stabbed parent
A assistant Mercer County track coach has been jailed on charges he stabbed the stepfather of a team member at a practice being held in Ohio.
Brookfield, Ohio, police have charged George Thomas, 53, with felonious assault, bringing a deadly weapon into a school safety zone among other crimes for the incident Tuesday.
Thomas has been placed on paid leave from Sharon High School pending the outcome of the charges. The team was practicing in Brookfield, Ohio, a few miles away, because Sharon doesn't have a regulation-size track.
Brookfield police say Thomas pulled a knife to threaten one student and shoved another before arguing with the stepfather of one of the students. Police say that man was stabbed in the chest, but survived.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Authorities investigate racist letter to Pa. state police pick Brown
- Police: Some pictured on Penn State frat sites come forward
- Heat lamp for cats caused fatal Lawrence County fire
- PSU frat members, victims aid in investigation
- Teacher strike threats remain in Western Pennsylvania
- 20-year-old man charged in Edinboro double shooting
- Man, 82, dies in Lawrence County house fire
- Ex-prosecutor, alum becomes Grove City College president
- PSU president will back tuition freeze if Wolf’s funding plan passes
- School bus rams through front of suburban Philadelphia home
- VA pledges to ease restrictive rules on use of Veterans Choice Access program