Police: Mercer County track coach stabbed parent
A assistant Mercer County track coach has been jailed on charges he stabbed the stepfather of a team member at a practice being held in Ohio.
Brookfield, Ohio, police have charged George Thomas, 53, with felonious assault, bringing a deadly weapon into a school safety zone among other crimes for the incident Tuesday.
Thomas has been placed on paid leave from Sharon High School pending the outcome of the charges. The team was practicing in Brookfield, Ohio, a few miles away, because Sharon doesn't have a regulation-size track.
Brookfield police say Thomas pulled a knife to threaten one student and shoved another before arguing with the stepfather of one of the students. Police say that man was stabbed in the chest, but survived.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mom, daughter die from injuries in food truck blast
- Upper St. Clair family’s efforts pay off as governor signs Down syndrome education bill
- Pennsylvania liquor licenses are considered ‘better than gold’
- Mother, maternal grandparents charged in abuse of Mercer County boy
- Police: Mom, grandparents nearly starved Mercer County boy, 7
- 2 Greene County residents charged with killing 3 in W.Va.
- Philly Nazi suspect dies as extradition request OK’d
- More than 500 migrant kids sent to Pennsylvania