Police: Mercer County track coach stabbed parent
A assistant Mercer County track coach has been jailed on charges he stabbed the stepfather of a team member at a practice being held in Ohio.
Brookfield, Ohio, police have charged George Thomas, 53, with felonious assault, bringing a deadly weapon into a school safety zone among other crimes for the incident Tuesday.
Thomas has been placed on paid leave from Sharon High School pending the outcome of the charges. The team was practicing in Brookfield, Ohio, a few miles away, because Sharon doesn't have a regulation-size track.
Brookfield police say Thomas pulled a knife to threaten one student and shoved another before arguing with the stepfather of one of the students. Police say that man was stabbed in the chest, but survived.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Racy’ emails could stay hidden under Pennsylvania open records law
- Retiring circuit judge, a Carnegie native, ‘helped tutor generations’
- Troopers hurt while busting alleged drunken driver
- State police trooper shot dead outside northeastern Pa. barracks
- Man charged in slaying reported voices, police say
- Decline of Pa. police pursuits ‘a step in the right direction’
- Activist spotlights nation’s food waste with Pa. stop
- Centre County entrepreneur with ‘new ideas’ named to LCB board
- Lack of lethal injection drugs causes execution stay
- Savagery of ISIS stirs the grief of 9/11 for survivors
- Poll: Likely voters strongly back Wolf for Pa. gov