Police: Mercer County track coach stabbed parent
A assistant Mercer County track coach has been jailed on charges he stabbed the stepfather of a team member at a practice being held in Ohio.
Brookfield, Ohio, police have charged George Thomas, 53, with felonious assault, bringing a deadly weapon into a school safety zone among other crimes for the incident Tuesday.
Thomas has been placed on paid leave from Sharon High School pending the outcome of the charges. The team was practicing in Brookfield, Ohio, a few miles away, because Sharon doesn't have a regulation-size track.
Brookfield police say Thomas pulled a knife to threaten one student and shoved another before arguing with the stepfather of one of the students. Police say that man was stabbed in the chest, but survived.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bigger version of Dutch artist’s giant rubber duck coming to Philadelphia
- New Castle man gets prison for rape of girl seen on flea market tablet computer
- Pope to join gallery of murals in Philadelphia
- Man claiming 1988 abuse by Sandusky seeks way into court
- Greene County woman found dead in burning home
- Bee crisis deepens; Pa. keepers turn to making honey over pollination
- Pa. Gov. Wolf proposes to add $28M a year for human services
- Penn State fraternity suspended for 3 years
- Philadelphia’s SEPTA board expected to ban controversial ads on buses
- Massive coal breaker, Pennsylvania’s last, is coming down