Wine bill gives hope to state bed and breakfasts
YORK — American Vintage Bed and Breakfast is next to Naylor Wine Cellars, but state law prevents the Stewartstown B&B from serving its neighbor's wine to guests.
“The rules are ridiculous. My guests can go over there and bring me a complimentary bottle, but I can't give them one,” said JoAnn Dalton, owner of the bed and breakfast.
A state House bill passed this month would change that.
Sponsored by Rep. Scott Petri, R-Bucks County, House Bill 244 would allow Pennsylvania bed-and-breakfast owners to give one bottle of wine produced by a licensed, limited Pennsylvania winery.
B&Bs and wineries are an integral part of the state's tourism industry, and many are within driving distance of each other, he said.
“My bill fixes an archaic and senseless law by enabling B&B operators who want to offer a complimentary bottle of local wine to their guests to do so without having to first obtain a liquor license,” Petri said.
It also will help the state's B&Bs compete with those in other states that advertise the complimentary beverages as part of lodging packages.
The measure passed the House without debate by a 200-1 vote and now goes before the Senate for approval.
Workers at Naylor Wine Cellars hope the bill becomes law.
“It's a boost for the B&Bs and wineries and just good for tourism across the board,” said Ted Potter, winemaker for the winery.
There are nearly 900 B&Bs and about 180 wineries that could benefit from the proposed change, according to the state Department of Community and Economic Development.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Marines who served with alleged killer said couple fought constantly
- Poor sales sink multi-state Monopoly Millionaires’ Club lottery
- In poll, many Pennsylvanians predict taxes will rise under Wolf
- Pennsylvania Marine who killed family takes own life
- DA expects charges soon in $1.2M Shenango Township thefts
- Most Penn State trustees boycott special meeting on legal action against football program
- Philly officer kills man in traffic stop struggle