14,000 draft notices sent to Pennsylvania men born in 1800s
No, the United States military isn't trying to build a force of centenarians.
It just seems that way — the Selective Service System mistakenly sent notices to more than 14,000 Pennsylvania men born between 1893 and 1897, ordering them to register for the nation's military draft. The agency realized the error when it began receiving calls from bewildered families last week.
The glitch originated with the Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles during an automated data transfer of nearly 400,000 records to the Selective Service. The records of males born between 1993 and 1997 were mixed with those of men born a century earlier, Selective Service spokesman Pat Schuback said on Thursday. The federal agency didn't know it because the state uses a two-digit code to indicate year of birth.
“It's never happened before,” he said.
The Selective Service identified 27,218 records of men born in the 1800s and began mailing notices to them on June 30, Schuback said. The agency began receiving calls on July 3. By that time, it had sent 14,250 notices in error.
The men are almost certainly all dead, given that the youngest would be turning 117 this year. Families of those men who received the notices can simply ignore them, he said. Their files will be deactivated, and they shouldn't receive additional communications from the Selective Service.
“We regret the mistake,” he said.
Martha Weaver, in her 80s, told The (Oil City) Derrick that the Selective Service System notice arrived on Saturday in Rockland Township, Venango County.
Her father's name was Fred Minnick, though the notice misspelled the last name “Minick” and warns that failure to register is “punishable by a fine and imprisonment.”
Her father was born on June 12, 1894, which means he would have turned 18 in 1912.
Minnick died on April 20, 1992.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.