State police investigating Lawrence County murder-suicide
A Lawrence County man shot his stepfather to death and then pointed his gun at his mother before shooting and killing himself late Friday, state police said.
Authorities determined the deaths of Justin E. Burnett, 29, and Douglas C. Weingartner, 60, both of Wayne, were the result of a murder-suicide, police Lt. Eric Hermick said on Saturday.
Burnett and his stepfather hadn't had a good relationship since the late 1990s, Burnett's mother, Jo Ann Wein-gartner, told police, Hermick said.
Jo Ann Weingartner picked her son up in Ellwood City about 10 p.m. Friday, Hermick said. Burnett was believed to have been at a bar. His car was equipped with an interlock device, which prevents someone from driving when intoxicated. Court records show that Burnett had two drunken-driving convictions from 2012.
When the two arrived home, Hermick said, Douglas Weingartner briefly argued with Burnett about his drinking before going upstairs to his bedroom.
Burnett took his .40-caliber handgun and walked into Weingartner's bedroom and shot him four times, Hermick said.
“He just basically assassinated him,” Hermick said. “(Weingartner) didn't try to move or defend himself.”
Jo Ann Weingartner, who was downstairs, thought that her son was banging on the bedroom door, not realizing she was hearing gunshots, Hermick said, until he returned downstairs holding the gun.
After telling her, “I just killed Doug,” Hermick said, Burnett pointed the gun at his mother.
Burnett then shot himself, Hermick said. Jo Ann Weingartner was not injured but was “visibly traumatized” when police arrived, police said. The Lawrence County Coroner's Office pronounced the two men dead at the scene.
Hermick said police hadn't previously responded to emergency calls at the Weingartner home.
Bill Vidonic is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5621 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cop killer Abu-Jamal to speak by recording to Vermont school ceremonies
- Police find pipe bombs in woods during manhunt for suspect in trooper ambush
- 2 men held in fatal Mercer County mobile home heist
- Bishop mum on accused priest
- Judge OKs alternative for 2 turnpike corruption case defendants
- Cop killer to address college commencement
- Enrollment falls again at Pennsylvania’s state-owned universities
- Manhunt for trooper slaying suspect won’t keep deer hunters from woods in bow season
- Gas industry remedies ‘brain drain’ in Western Pennsylvania
- Amaranth plant venture aims to improve deficient diets
- Pa. not ready to abandon lethal injections