Holloway suspect reportedly going to be a father
LIMA, Peru — A newspaper reported on Monday that Joran van der Sloot, a Dutch man who is serving a 28-year-sentence for murdering a young Peruvian woman, says he is going to be a father. His attorney said the inmate does have a conjugal visitor, though he could not confirm she that is pregnant.
The Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf said Van der Sloot, a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teenager Natalee Holloway, himself told it in a telephone call on Saturday that “a test has proved” the pregnancy.
Van der Sloot's attorney Maximo Altez, said that a woman named Leidy Figueroa Uceda “is registered as a conjugal visitor of Joran. She is registered in the visitors books of the Piedras Gordas prison in Lima.” He denied, however, that he had told the newspaper he could confirm the pregnancy.
“I told them I didn't know anything in that respect,” he said.
News media in Peru last year identified Figueroa as Van der Sloot's girlfriend, and said they had conceived a son together, but she denied it.
De Telegraaf said Van der Sloot told it that the woman uses the birth control pill but had apparently forgotten to take it and she would not have an abortion due to her Catholic faith.
He said he didn't have DNA proof the child is his, but he believes it to be.
Van der Sloot is a self-described liar, having confessed to killing Holloway and later retracting the confessions.
He is the last person known to have seen her alive.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- 2 injured in Strip District shooting
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- Flooded out of Big Easy, veterinarian builds new life in Lawrenceville
- ‘Banshee’ props, inventory up for sale
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Independent bookshops find ways to keep going with new owners
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Steelers’ Martavis Bryant facing four-game suspension
- LaBar: The upgrade of The Wyatt Family in WWE