Yeager, 89, re-enacts 1947's historic sound barrier flight
NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — Sixty-five years after becoming the first human to fly faster than the speed of sound, retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager is still making noise.
This time the 89-year-old Yeager, who was featured in the movie “The Right Stuff,” flew in the back seat Sunday of an F-15 Eagle instead of the experimental rocket plane, Bell X-1, he piloted on the historic flight.
The F-15 took off from Nellis Air Force Base near Las Vegas and broke the sound barrier at more than 30,000 feet above California's Mojave Desert where Yeager achieved the feat on Oct. 14, 1947.
Asked by a young girl afterward if he was scared, Yeager joked, “Yeah, I was scared to death.” But the legendary pilot said he continues to fly all the time and it was just another flight to him.
The flight went smoothly, and Yeager flew the F-15 as it took off and landed, said Airman Timothy Young, a Nellis spokesman. The plane was piloted by Capt. David Vincent of the 65th Aggressor Squadron at Nellis.
The aircraft broke the sound barrier at 10:24 a.m. Sunday, exactly 65 years to the minute when the then-Air Force test pilot made history. At the time, the F-15 was flying over Muroc Dry Lake in California where he accomplished the feat in 1947.
Yeager said on Sunday that he remains grateful for what his Air Force service allowed him to achieve. He has flown more than 350 kinds of planes around the world.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- UPMC offering buyouts to 3,500 employees in cost-cutting move
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Vandals ruin Ligonier Township farmers’ garden
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role
- Steelers’ Brown: Attendance ‘never a doubt’ for offseason workouts
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Fire crews respond to Latrobe apartment house fire
- Swiss open criminal proceedings in 2018, ‘22 World Cup votes
- Hines Ward appearing on ‘Celebrity Wife Swap’