Friends baffled by killing of Ala. college student
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, October 7, 2012, 9:38 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, October 7, 2012
MOBILE, Ala. — Classmates and friends are questioning why a police officer fatally shot a University of South Alabama freshman who was naked and had been banging on a window at police headquarters.
Campus officials did not give any indication that Gil Collar, 18, of Wetumpka had a weapon when he was shot. A university spokesman said he was fatally wounded about 1:30 a.m. Saturday after an officer heard a bang on a window and went outside to investigate.
A statement issued by university spokesman Keith Ayers said Collar, who wrestled at Wetumpka High School before enrolling at South Alabama, assumed a “fighting stance” and chased an officer before being shot. The officer tried to retreat numerous times to defuse the situation before opening fire, the school said.
But sophomore Tyler Kendrick said campus authorities have not provided any satisfying answers about why Collar was killed.
“Really, it just upsets me that there's no other way to apprehend an unarmed student rather than shooting him. I don't understand that,” Kendrick said.
Student Joshua Frye said it seemed the officer could have used something other than a firearm to stop Collar.
“What I feel is that a cop has more than a gun,” Frye said.
The officer was placed on paid leave, and an autopsy will determine if drugs or alcohol were involved.
Campus officials said the confrontation was recorded by security cameras. The video and other information have been turned over to the district attorney and the Mobile County Sheriff's Office, which will review the shooting.
Colgan Meanor had known Collar since high school.
“He was a great, loving guy who always made people smile,” she said. “He's not the kind of guy that people knew him and said he would do something like this.”
- Republicans see IRS scandal parallel in EPA info requests
- Michigan woman’s rape, cancer claims investigated as scams
- Marine Corps sergeant reunited with combat dog in surprise ceremony
- College student, intruder killed
- GSA review shows flaws in bonuses
- Background checks ongoing fight for NRA
- Spacewalking astronauts replace ammonia pump; no new leakage detected
- Tsarnaev brothers’ link to 2011 murders explored
- Father of California boy accused in sister’s death wants evidence
- 2nd effort for media shield law suggested as Obama, Holder claim no involvement in subpoenas of AP phone records
- Hagel believes alcohol is ‘a very big factor’ in many of military’s sexual assault and harassment cases
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.