Is this a fish story? Or a golf story? Either way ...
By The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 9:30 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 25, 2012
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. — Nobody yelled “Fore!” at a Southern California golf course when a 2-foot-long shark dropped out of the sky and flopped around on the 12th tee.
The 2-pound leopard shark was apparently plucked from the ocean by a bird then dropped on San Juan Hills Golf Club, Melissa McCormack, director of club operations, said on Thursday.
No one was teeing up when the shark fell Monday afternoon, although some golfers had just left the area, she said.
A course marshal, who makes sure players maintain an appropriate pace, saw something moving around on the tee and went to investigate. He found the shark bleeding with puncture wounds, where it seems the bird had held it in its grasp.
The marshal put the shark in his golf cart and drove it back to the clubhouse.
The marshal, McCormack and employee Bryan Stizer wanted to help the small shark, so they stuck it in a bucket of water. Then somebody remembered it wasn't a fresh water animal, so they stirred up some “homemade sea water” using salt from the kitchen, she said.
“We knew we had to get it to the ocean as fast as possible,” McCormack said.
She grabbed a photo of the shark before Stizer headed to the sea.
“When Brian put it in the water, it didn't move,” she said, “but then it flipped and took off.”
- Justice Department ‘abusive,’ AP chief says
- Shooting of armed intruder, hostage haunts New York police officer
- Researchers develop food map to pinpoint how Americans eat
- Obama foundation won quick tax-exempt approval
- Powerball officials: 80 percent of number combinations picked
- Ex-Philadelphia officer once hailed as hero faces charges
- Woes at refineries push gas prices up
- Big and scary asteroid will luckily just make a flyby
- IRS ignored biggest groups
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.