Sniper suspect charged, ordered held on $2 million bond
HOWELL, Mich. — A man suspected in two dozen random shootings along a 100-mile stretch of roadway in southeastern Michigan was charged with several gun crimes Wednesday that are likely the first of many charges.
Prosecutors believe that Raulie Casteel, a geologist, is responsible for the shootings last month that mostly targeted moving vehicles on or near Interstate 96. One person was injured.
Casteel, 43, was ordered held on a $2 million bond after being charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and other gun crimes. The charges stem from a shooting Oct. 18 on in interstate in Livingston County's Howell Township, about 45 miles northwest of Detroit.
The driver of the targeted car was able to describe the gunman, his vehicle and a partial license plate number from a Michigan State University vanity plate.
He was arrested Monday at his home in Wixom, about 20 miles away.
“Hopefully we can scratch these senseless shootings off our to-do list,” said David McCain, head of the Detroit branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Casteel appeared in court via video from jail on Wednesday and was introduced to lawyers hired by his wife. Judge Carol Sue Reader set the high bond, saying there was a “high probability” that Casteel poses a threat to the public. The county prosecutor's office said mental illness may be a factor.
Casteel had a license to carry a pistol in Kentucky but not in Michigan, authorities said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arizona county clears girl shooter in gun range death
- Study examines body’s bacteria on move indoors
- Judge reaffirms Texas’ ‘Robin Hood’ system of school funding unconstitutional
- Cause of Ohio plane crash that killed 4 Case Western Reserve students unknown
- AFL-CIO’s Trumka urges action to push the political left to polls
- Obama backs off immigration vow
- Southern Calif. high surf expected to subside today
- Death Valley ‘sailing rocks’ linked to freeze-warm cycle
- Chicago officer accused of putting gun in suspect’s mouth
- Invasive species in Great Lakes partially blamed on anglers
- Va.’s first couple, former Gov. and Mrs. McDonnell, often together, FBI agent testifies