Police use pushups to punish suspected vandals, video shows
By The Associated Press
Published: Monday, November 26, 2012, 8:20 p.m.
Updated: Monday, November 26, 2012
NORTH PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Four police officers in Rhode Island are being investigated for making five boys do pushups on the side of a street as punishment for damaging a mailbox.
Acting North Providence Police Chief Paul Martellini said a woman called police Friday morning to report her mailbox was damaged. Officers soon found a bright yellow sports car that matched the description, he said. Several teenagers were inside.
A neighbor videotaped the stop from across the street and posted it online.
Martellini said he has ordered an internal investigation and would not immediately comment on whether the officers' actions were appropriate. He said he heard from many people during the weekend about whether the officers' actions were appropriate.
“Some people say it's the right thing to do. Some people say it's the wrong thing to do. The question is, was it the professional thing to do?” he said.
- Injunction halts Arkansas abortion ban
- Background checks ongoing fight for NRA
- Michigan woman’s rape, cancer claims investigated as scams
- Frontier fort from Revolutionary War found in Georgia
- Rockefeller charity marks century of aid
- Rare Sargent painting coming to NYC auction
- Philly abortion doctor found guilty of murder
- National Cathedral wins preservation funds contest
- $10K reward offered in New Orleans shooting
- Knuckle sandwich results in charges in Mass.
- Drilling fees pale to tax in new research by Pennsylvania organization
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.