Panetta rules new evidence insufficient in rejecting upgrade to Medal of Honor
SAN DIEGO — The secretary of Defense has denied a request to upgrade a fallen Marine's Navy Cross to the Medal of Honor, a San Diego congressman's office said Wednesday.
The Pentagon told Rep. Duncan Hunter it supports the decision of former Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who honored Sgt. Rafael Peralta with the Navy Cross instead of the military's highest honor.
Peralta was not conscious when his body smothered a grenade in Iraq in 2004, saving the lives of other Marines, Gates ruled in 2008.
The case was reopened this year after Hunter obtained a video of the battle action and a new forensics report. The lawmaker said the new evidence proved Peralta's actions were intentional.
But Defense officials found the new evidence was not sufficient to change the decision, said Joe Kasper, Hunter's spokesman.
Lt. Nate Christensen, a Pentagon spokesman, said he could not discuss the case, citing policy to not comment on Medal of Honor nominations under consideration.
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus told reporters during a visit to Camp Pendleton last week that he had recommended Peralta be honored with the Medal of Honor.
Peralta's family was informed of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta's decision on Wednesday, Kasper said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Top general in Afghanistan: U.S. strike on hospital a mistake
- Publisher apologizes for textbook calling slaves ‘workers’
- Hillary Clinton kept in touch with key donors, emails show
- Despite sunny forecast, South Carolina ordeal far from over
- Allies reach Pacific Rim trade deal likely to divide political parties
- Federal watchdog renews investigation of Secret Service leak
- Coast Guard believes El Faro container ship sank
- Oregon shooter ranted in manifesto about having no girlfriend
- Passenger train derails in Vermont; 7 injured
- Benghazi transcript on way, defying GOP leaders on committee
- House Speaker Boehner sets vote on his replacement