Maine landlord kills 2 over parking in driveway during snowstorm, police say
PORTLAND, Maine — A 74-year-old man shot and killed two tenants inside an apartment he rented out in his home, possibly over a dispute about where they parked their cars during a snowstorm, state police said on Sunday.
James Pak, who had been in a standoff at his suburban home in Biddeford, about 15 miles south of Portland, was arrested about 10 p.m. Saturday, police said.
He is charged with two counts of murder in the deaths of Derrick Thompson, 19, and Thompson's girlfriend, Alivia Welch, 18.
Thompson's mother, Susan Johnson, 44, called police to report the shootings about 7 p.m. She and her 6-year-old son also live in the apartment, which is attached to the main house where Pak lived.
Before the shootings, police were called to Pak's home because of a dispute between Pak and his tenants over their cars being parked in his driveway during the snowstorm, said state police spokesman Steve McCausland.
Biddeford banned street parking during the night so crews could plow the streets.
Minutes after officers left the home, they received the call reporting the shootings.
Biddeford police rescued Johnson and her young son, and Pak retreated to his part of the house, where he lived with his wife, McCausland said.
Pak's wife left the home, and he surrendered hours later, said McCausland.
Johnson was being treated for a gunshot wound in a Portland hospital, officials said. Her younger son was not hurt.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ferguson slaying of Brown reconstructed in county autopsy
- Man caught jumping White House fence
- Coast Guard to seek billions to protect Arctic interests
- Biden’s son Hunter under no bar review after Navy Reserve discharge for cocaine use
- 4 private security guards convicted
- Coburn’s final ‘Wastebook’ tallies $25B in what he considers ‘pork’
- Immigration work permits could rise under contract
- Security at Capitol questioned
- 8 arrested in post-game riots in Morgantown
- FAA dallies as demand for commercial drones mounts
- Social Security recipients to get increase in benefits