New York county to withhold gun permit info
NEW YORK — Authorities in a suburban county north of New York City said on Tuesday they will refuse to release names of local gun permit holders to a newspaper that has been publishing the identities of thousands of license-holding residents.
Putnam County Clerk Dennis Sant said he will defy a request for information about pistol permit holders from the White Plains, N.Y.-based Journal News, which has been under criticism for publishing thousands of such identities already.
“There is the rule of law, and there is right and wrong and the Journal News is clearly wrong,” Sant said in a statement. “I could not live with myself if one Putnam pistol permit holder was put in harm's way, for the sole purpose of selling newspapers.”
The Journal News first published a map listing thousands of pistol permit-holders in Westchester and Rockland counties, just north of New York City, on Dec. 24.
The newspaper's editors said they sought the information upon the Dec. 14 shooting deaths of 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary, which has sparked nationwide debate about gun control.
Angered, state gun-owner groups have called for an advertising boycott of the newspaper until it takes the map and identities off its website.
The newspaper, owned by the Gannett Co., sought the information under the state's Freedom of Information law. It says the identities are a matter of public record.
Putnam County officials had said they were compiling the names for the newspaper but said instead they will not deliver the information.
The county clerk said he has received hundreds of phone calls urging him not to give the information to the paper.
The county clerk, Putnam County Executive MaryEllen Odell and other elected officials were slated to appear on Thursday at a news conference declaring their intentions. Also set to appear is state Sen. Greg Ball, a Republican from Patterson, N.Y., who has said he will introduce legislation to keep permit information private except to prosecutors and police.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Obama rules out military response
- U.S. waffling on ISIS feeds confusion among possible allies
- Prison term for Detroit porch gunman debated
- Military pilot was killed in Va. crash
- Arizona county clears girl shooter in gun range death
- Study examines body’s bacteria on move indoors
- Judge reaffirms Texas’ ‘Robin Hood’ system of school funding unconstitutional
- Feds strip Oklahoma of education funding decisions
- Chicago officer accused of putting gun in suspect’s mouth
- Death Valley ‘sailing rocks’ linked to freeze-warm cycle
- Ferguson sued over police actions amid riots