Man arrested for climb on storm-ravaged N.J .roller coaster
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. — Police have apprehended a man who apparently unfurled an American flag as he climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy.
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat on Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights.
Christopher Angelo, 38, told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 1Q earnings reports boost stocks
- Foggy Interstate 70 pileup injures dozen in Colorado
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- Minnesota Somali men foiled in plot to join terrorists in Syria
- Missouri town, new mayor grapple with mass resignations
- Federal agency proposes removing most humpback whales from endangered species list
- Breast cancers predicted to rise by 50 percent by 2030
- Muslim leaders mixed on effort to curb extremism
- Secret Service, Ebola coverage wins Pulitzers
- Security to tighten for airport workers
- Social media makes it difficult for ‘hero’ to stay anonymous