Man arrested for climb on storm-ravaged N.J .roller coaster
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013, 7:02 p.m.
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. — Police have apprehended a man who apparently unfurled an American flag as he climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy.
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat on Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights.
Christopher Angelo, 38, told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Scientists achieve cloning advance for use in treating diseases
- Husband accused in slaying ate pot candy, police say
- Deal reached in Ukraine crisis talks, but U.S. remains wary of Russia’s end game
- Reid calls Nevada rancher’s supporters ‘terrorists’ over armed confrontation
- Obama’s budget plan wildly off, CBO says
- National Portrait Gallery features abstract expressionism of familiar faces
- Another arrest made in abduction of N.C. prosecutor’s father
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Imam’s influence detailed as NYC terror trial begins
- Clinton donor pleads guilty in illegal campaign contributions
- Oregon reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen