Man arrested for climb on storm-ravaged N.J .roller coaster
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. — Police have apprehended a man who apparently unfurled an American flag as he climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy.
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat on Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights.
Christopher Angelo, 38, told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- National park entry fees on rise as summer nears
- Obama vetoes union election bill; streamlined election process to move forward
- Mysteries of dark matter come to light in Science study
- Federal agents charged with plundering online drug bazaar Silk Road
- Florida church bus crash kills 8
- Appalachian miners wiped out by coal glut they can’t reverse
- H5N2 flu strain found in Kansas chicken, duck flock
- American crash victims: U.S. government contractor, daughter
- Indiana governor defends religious objections bill signed into law
- Excessive use of solitary found for juveniles in Baltimore jail
- Christie rails against high N.J. estate tax