Man arrested for climb on storm-ravaged N.J .roller coaster
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. — Police have apprehended a man who apparently unfurled an American flag as he climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy.
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat on Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights.
Christopher Angelo, 38, told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Korean detainee reunites with family in Ohio
- Social Security benefits to go up by 1.7 percent
- Expert: Stress level rises for Americans who forfeit vacation
- West Virginia University warns students over riots
- Teen’s pre-existing condition led to death
- Wreckage of sunken WWII U-boat found off N.C. coast
- Obama’s credit card declined in New York restaurant
- Archaeologists sift through Everglades muck for history
- Accused head of violent Mexican cartel nabbed
- 5 airports to handle all U.S.-bound travelers from Ebola-stricken nations
- Researchers try to soothe nerves jittery over Ebola virus