Man arrested for climb on storm-ravaged N.J .roller coaster
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. — Police have apprehended a man who apparently unfurled an American flag as he climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy.
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat on Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights.
Christopher Angelo, 38, told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Pa. state worker charged with stealing 610 helmets
- Speaker Boehner vows House response to Obama’s immigration policy changes
- Paralyzed Marine uses robotic legs to walk during Bronze Star ceremony
- Former Va. Sen. Webb launches presidential exploratory committee
- As snow melts, floods a growing concern in Buffalo
- Panel on Benghazi debunks theories
- 5 family members killed on ‘dream trip’ to Disney
- Utah’s concealed-carry permits skyrocket in popularity
- EPA pays $1 million to 8 workers to stay home on leave
- Mystery of deaths of 2 children, wounding of third and mother
- Study: Early statin use carries ‘lifetime effect’