Man arrested for climb on storm-ravaged N.J .roller coaster
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. — Police have apprehended a man who apparently unfurled an American flag as he climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy.
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat on Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights.
Christopher Angelo, 38, told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alaska-bound, Obama makes waves by renaming Mount McKinley
- Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Fischer open to interest rate hike
- Postal Service falls short of slower mail delivery standards
- Pope Francis’ lack of familiarity with United States unusual
- CDC lauds schools for better nutrition
- Thousands in New Orleans became targets of unscrupulous contractors
- Obama administration developing sanctions against China over cyberespionage
- Long Island college student arrested for trying to record police, civil liberties experts say
- Supreme Court can resolve Kentucky county clerk’s refusal to issue marriage licenses to gays
- Obama inches closer to veto-proof support for Iran nuclear deal
- Motive in ambush of Houston area deputy remains unknown