Man arrested for climb on storm-ravaged N.J .roller coaster
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. — Police have apprehended a man who apparently unfurled an American flag as he climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy.
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat on Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights.
Christopher Angelo, 38, told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- FBI investigates celebrities’ nude photo claims
- High court to weigh pregnancy work rights
- Perry distances himself from unflattering image tweeted of DA
- Texas GOP lawmaker calls for end to 40-year crude oil export ban
- Anti-abortion law in effect in Louisiana, with a caveat
- U.S. to get base in Niger to aid Islamist hunt
- Ferguson police begin wearing body cameras
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- New heart failure drug works much better than current treatment, study finds
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Obama backs off immigration vow