Man arrested for climb on storm-ravaged N.J .roller coaster
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. — Police have apprehended a man who apparently unfurled an American flag as he climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy.
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat on Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights.
Christopher Angelo, 38, told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- FBI says lab errors extend to 1999
- Thousands attend B.B. King viewing
- Houthis capture at least 4 U.S. citizens
- Nivolumab shines in fighting cancerous lung tumors in immunotherapy regimen
- Legal battle over Brazilian emerald likely at end
- H3N2 dog flu not cause for panic, experts say
- Texas waters yield 4 bodies as death toll climbs; rainfall records fall across state
- Cuba removed from U.S. terrorism list
- Anthrax shipments underreported
- Detroit-area police officer to stand trial in driver’s beating
- Flash floods in Texas, Oklahoma kill 2; hundreds of homes gone