TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

'Death Star' won't fit in budget

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

By The Associated Press
Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013, 9:42 p.m.
 

WASHINGTON — A “Death Star” won't be a part of the military's arsenal anytime soon.

More than 34,000 people have signed an online petition calling on the Obama administration to build the “Star Wars”-inspired super-weapon to spur job growth and bolster national defense.

But in a posting on Friday on the White House website, Paul Shawcross, an administration adviser on science and space, says a Death Star would cost too much to build — an estimated $850 quadrillion — at a time the White House is working to reduce the federal budget.

Besides, Shawcross says, the Obama administration “does not support blowing up planets.”

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. John Nash, wife, ‘A Beautiful Mind’ inspiration, die in N.J. taxi crash
  2. Parks threatened by dispute over renewal
  3. Michigan woman marks 116th birthday
  4. Texas, Oklahoma residents urged to flee flooding
  5. Arizona to limit welfare to 12 months
  6. Obama trade bill advances in Senate
  7. NSA extension up to senators
  8. Obama reaches out to Jewish community
  9. Clinton Foundation reports as much as $26.4M in previously undisclosed payments
  10. Police kill suspect in fatal shootings of Missouri woman, son
  11. Harvey Girls recognized for role in history of West