Feds to give $25 million to Detroit for streetcar line downtown
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, Jan. 18, 2013, 9:02 p.m.
DETROIT — The federal government committed $25 million on Friday to build a streetcar line through the heart of Detroit, putting in place the last piece of a plan bringing light rail to one of the few urban centers still without it.
The remainder of the $140 million tab for the 3.3-mile streetcar line along Woodward Avenue will be funded by a public-private partnership. Sizable donations will come from companies whose workers are commuting from revitalized neighborhoods to downtown offices. It remains unclear, however, whether the cash-strapped city ever will be able to extend the line into the poorest neighborhoods where better mass transportation is needed.
Leaders long have said public transportation must improve for Detroit to grow. Light rail along Woodward Avenue — the primary business and commercial corridor — has been discussed for years, but hasn't been a priority in a city struggling with debt, violence and population loss.
Electric trolleys that once shuttled people around the city were torn up decades ago and replaced by buses as the Motor City bet on roads, not rails.
There have been 24 failed attempts over the past 40 years to develop a modern public-transit system in Detroit, said Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder at a news conference on Friday.
Detroit's public transportation largely has been limited in recent decades to a problem-plagued public bus system as well as the People Mover elevated rail, which many see as a symbol of the city's financial woes and mismanagement.
The People Mover was designed to take suburban residents coming into the city on a light-rail line to spots downtown. But the light-rail line was canceled during the Reagan Administration. The stand-alone People Mover opened in 1987, but without connecting train service.
Under its current configuration, it makes 13 stops in a 2.9-mile loop of downtown.
While the bus system covers a wider area, residents complain of frequent breakdowns that leave them waiting an hour or more to be picked up, and Mayor Dave Bing, facing a deep budget deficit, has eliminated some sparsely used routes and cut back on hours of service along others.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood elicited laughs Friday when he announced that it was his 13th visit to Detroit. “Lucky 13,” he said, but part of the reason the transit chief has visited so frequently and for so long without releasing any money was that he needed assurances that the state and city could uphold their end of the bargain.
That came in part last year, when the Michigan Legislature approved a long-sought regional transit authority for the Detroit area that will create a rapid-transit bus system and possibly expand the M-1 line north to Pontiac and west to Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The initial line will run from downtown to an area a few miles north that includes Wayne State University, the Detroit Institute of Arts and other cultural and educational institutions.
But the key component to making the M-1 line a reality was a commitment from Penske Automotive Group chief Roger Penske, Quicken Loans founder and chairman Dan Gilbert and other leaders from Detroit's business and nonprofit communities to raise more than $100 million to finish the project.
“We need to reach out into the neighborhoods to make the city better,” Penske said Friday. “But we need to have a strong core, and this project will do this. This is going to revitalize economic development along this corridor. People are going to want to move their shops here, live here and it's going to bring jobs. And that's the most important thing. We need jobs.”
Detroit could be the first U.S. city to pay for a major mass transit project in private dollars, although that has happened overseas in places like Tokyo, said Robert Puentes, a transportation expert with the Brookings Institution. Detroit also has precedent in the privately owned Ambassador Bridge, which links Detroit and Windsor, Canada. Those using it pay a toll.
Construction on the M-1 Rail line could begin later this year, with streetcar service starting in the fall of 2015. The route will include 11 stations and additional curb-side stops. A one-way trip would take about 15 minutes, depending on the time of day.
One remaining concern is that the M-1 line will serve only select travelers in Detroit, a sprawling city where many residents need public transportation.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters said he recently rode city buses to talk to residents about their experiences and came away horrified by the lengths to which some riders go to get to work, school or elsewhere. He called it “a moral issue,” and one that must be addressed.
To that end, LaHood promised an additional $6.5 million in federal funds to help improve city bus service and develop a rapid-transit bus network between downtown, the suburbs and key destinations in the region.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Patriots’ back Nevada rancher; Reid labels them ‘domestic terrorists’
- Del Taco customers mistakenly charged thousands for fast-food meals
- IRS, other agencies award contracts to license plate tracking company
- Washington’s snowy owl recovers from apparent bus crash, returns to wild
- Health care law enrollee passwords at risk for Heartbleed Internet security flaw, feds warn
- Mauling puts bears back on firing line in Central Florida
- Fox fires exec who used email to plan aid
- Ohio couple married for 70 years dies just 15 hours apart
- Drug crime reclassification to help ex-cons get vote rights
- First date in New Jersey ends with him pilfering her TV and Yorkshire terrier
- Automaker GM’s wait on Saturn Ion safety recall took years