Appeals court upholds changes for unions in Wisconsin law
MADISON, Wis. — A federal appeals court on Friday upheld Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's contentious law stripping most public workers of nearly all of their collective bargaining rights in a decision hailed by Republicans but not undoing a state court ruling keeping much of the law from being in effect.
The decision marks the latest twist in a two-year battle over the law that Walker proposed in February 2011 and passed a month later despite protests and Senate Democrats leaving for Illinois in a failed attempt to block a vote on the measure.
The law forced public union members to pay more for health insurance and pension benefits, which Walker said was needed to address a budget shortfall. It also took away nearly all their bargaining rights.
Walker and Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, who fought for passage of the bill, called the ruling a win for Wisconsin taxpayers.
“As we've said all along, Act 10 is constitutional,” Walker said in a statement, referring to the law's official designation.
The decision, however, does not resolve a flurry of other lawsuits that have been filed over the law.
The most positive ruling for unions came in September when a state circuit court judge said the law was unconstitutional as applied to school and local government workers. That ruling is under appeal to the state appeals court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High court to weigh pregnancy work rights
- FBI investigates celebrities’ nude photo claims
- New heart failure drug works much better than current treatment, study finds
- Perry distances himself from unflattering image tweeted of DA
- Texas GOP lawmaker calls for end to 40-year crude oil export ban
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- Anti-abortion law in effect in Louisiana, with a caveat
- U.S. to get base in Niger to aid Islamist hunt
- Heart association fears e-cigarettes will produce new generation of smokers
- Arizona county clears girl shooter in gun range death