Teen kills 5 in home, N.M. authorities say
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A 15-year-old boy was in custody on Sunday night as detectives tried to piece together what led to the shootings of five people, including three young children, who were found dead in a New Mexico home.
The shootings happened on Saturday night in a rural area southwest of Albuquerque, said Lt. Sid Covington, a Bernalillo County sheriff's spokesman.
The unidentified teenager was arrested on suspicion of murder and “child abuse resulting in death,” the sheriff's department said in a statement.
Each victim — a man, a woman, a boy and two girls —had been shot several times, authorities said.
Their ages and names were not given. But word of the shootings traveled quickly through the law enforcement community, and officials began offering condolences for Greg Griego, a spiritual leader known for his work with firefighters and the 13 years he spent as a volunteer chaplain at the county jail.
“Chaplain Griego was a dedicated professional that passionately served his fellow man,” fire Chief James Breen said in a statement. “His calming spirit and gentle nature will be greatly missed.”
Authorities said each victim suffered more than one gunshot wound, and several guns were found at the home, one of which was a semi-automatic military-style rifle. Investigators were trying to determine who owned the guns.
Peter Gomez, 54, a carpenter who lives about 200 yards from the home, said he had seen the family — a husband and wife and their four children — pass by many times but did not know them personally.
“It's a horrible thing,” Gomez said. “You see all this stuff that happens all over the country ... and then it happens right here. It's sad.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Teacher tried to stop school shooting
- Officers swarm California counties as deputies killed in shooting rampage
- 3 Supreme Court justices offer Yale students an insider’s look at personalities
- Teacher tried to stop Washington state shooting
- Anti-abortion group tries to sway votes of women in Democratic households
- WWII pilot takes off in B-29 yet again
- Philadelphia Mafia figure returned to prison for meeting friend
- 1686 shipwreck ‘like dinosaur’ being rebuilt for museum
- Seattle area school homecoming ‘prince’ guns down classmates
- West Virginia University warns students over riots
- 4 private security guards convicted