7 dead, 6 wounded in Chicago violence
CHICAGO — Chicago authorities said seven people were killed and six wounded in gun violence in one day.
Among those killed on Saturday was a 34-year-old man whose mother had lost her three other children to shootings. Police said Ronnie Chambers was shot in the head while sitting in a car.
Two separate double-homicides occurred about 12 hours apart.
In one, a 16-year-old boy and a 32-year-old man were killed.
In another, two men were shot at a hamburger stand on the city's South Side. Police say the victims were roommates in their 40s.
Chicago's homicide count eclipsed 500 last year for the first time since 2008. Chicago's homicide rate was almost double in the early 1990s, averaging around 900.
Report: Grand jury tried to indict JonBenet's parents
BOULDER — A grand jury investigating JonBenet Ramsey's death voted to indict her parents on child abuse resulting in death, according to a report by The Boulder Daily Camera.
However, then-Boulder County District Attorney Alex Hunter refused to sign the indictment and prosecute the case, the Camera reported. Hunter believed he could not prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. In 2008, the parents were cleared by updated DNA analysis.
The 6-year-old beauty queen was found dead in her home on Christmas night in 1996.
Marine charged with assaulting recruits
SALISBURY — A Marine recruiter has been charged with sexually assaulting young female recruits in Rowan County.
Authorities say they arrested 24-year-old Sgt. Derek Percival at his Salisbury apartment on Saturday. He faces charges including sexual battery, false imprisonment and communicating threats.
Deputies say the alleged assaults happened at Percival's apartment and at a Marine recruiting office in Salisbury. Officials say Percival met the two victims through his work as a recruiter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pence: ‘Not going to change’ religious freedom law
- 2 bodies found at site of gas explosion in NYC apartments
- Before leak, NSA mulled ending phone program
- Despite high gas costs, Northeast resistant to pipelines
- Mining for tourists? A dubious economic savior in Appalachia
- News Alert
- Global warming is slowing down the circulation of the oceans — with potentially dire consequences
- Refunds hijacked in unique manner
- Mysteries of dark matter come to light in Science study
- Luxury resort founder owes $74M in taxes
- Veterans Affairs construction chief retires amid criticism over project delays, ballooning costs