TribLIVE

| USWorld

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

7 dead, 6 wounded in Chicago violence

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013, 9:46 p.m.
 

CHICAGO — Chicago authorities said seven people were killed and six wounded in gun violence in one day.

Among those killed on Saturday was a 34-year-old man whose mother had lost her three other children to shootings. Police said Ronnie Chambers was shot in the head while sitting in a car.

Two separate double-homicides occurred about 12 hours apart.

In one, a 16-year-old boy and a 32-year-old man were killed.

In another, two men were shot at a hamburger stand on the city's South Side. Police say the victims were roommates in their 40s.

Chicago's homicide count eclipsed 500 last year for the first time since 2008. Chicago's homicide rate was almost double in the early 1990s, averaging around 900.

COLORADO

Report: Grand jury tried to indict JonBenet's parents

BOULDER — A grand jury investigating JonBenet Ramsey's death voted to indict her parents on child abuse resulting in death, according to a report by The Boulder Daily Camera.

However, then-Boulder County District Attorney Alex Hunter refused to sign the indictment and prosecute the case, the Camera reported. Hunter believed he could not prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. In 2008, the parents were cleared by updated DNA analysis.

The 6-year-old beauty queen was found dead in her home on Christmas night in 1996.

NORTH CAROLINA

Marine charged with assaulting recruits

SALISBURY — A Marine recruiter has been charged with sexually assaulting young female recruits in Rowan County.

Authorities say they arrested 24-year-old Sgt. Derek Percival at his Salisbury apartment on Saturday. He faces charges including sexual battery, false imprisonment and communicating threats.

Deputies say the alleged assaults happened at Percival's apartment and at a Marine recruiting office in Salisbury. Officials say Percival met the two victims through his work as a recruiter.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. Police try to see if man killed by escort was linked to crimes against women
  2. Nuke arms program gets 4-star leadership
  3. National Security Agency to stop looking at old telephone records
  4. El Niño helps, harms economies
  5. Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments monument at Capitol must go
  6. Boy Scouts of America votes to end controversial ban on openly gay leaders
  7. House, Senate clash over highway funds before Friday deadline
  8. House Benghazi panel says State Department to hand over documents Tuesday
  9. Republicans seek firing of IRS chief in feud over missing emails
  10. Georgia judge says she did not involuntarily commit Louisiana movie theater gunman Houser
  11. Outside attorneys to help investigate Bland death in Texas jail