2 Louisiana deputies out of critical condition
NEW ORLEANS — Two sheriff's deputies were out of critical condition on Sunday, while the man accused of shooting them and killing two other people was charged with arson and two counts each of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder, Louisiana state police said.
Wilbert Thibodeaux, 48, of Charenton, was held without bond in the Iberia Parish jail, said Trooper Stephen Hammons.
He is accused of killing Eddie Lyons, 78, of Charenton and a Chitimacha Tribal Police officer whose name has not been released. Nor have officials released the names of the wounded deputies, both of St. Mary Parish.
Hammons said Lyons' body was found in a mobile home that had been set on fire Saturday before someone told police that a man carrying a shotgun was walking down a street near the tribe's 260-acre reservation and less than a quarter-mile from its Cypress Bayou Casino.
The tribal police officer who responded to the report and two deputies who arrived together all were shot. One deputy remained hospitalized in Lafayette, 40 miles northwest of Charenton, and the other in New Orleans, about 100 miles east of Charenton.
Lyons had been shot before his trailer was torched, and his burned body was found after the fire was put out, Hammons said.
Hammons said Thibodeaux was shot, and state police are investigating who shot him. Other responding deputies arrested him without further incident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Obama avoids calling terrorist attacks ‘Islamice_SSRq
- Teen girl Hernandez killed by Denver police once cited for resisting arrest
- Executive order directs standards to reflect climate change projections
- Mideast-North Africa category considered for 2020 Census
- Day, night 4-digit drawings match
- Blizzard-stricken East digs out amid forecast 2nd-guessing
- Taliban 5 linking with Haqqani, Graham says
- Obama calls for government spending surge
- Tickets let players bring home bacon — scent
- Overhaul of military benefit programs sought