Gunman kills driver of bus, snatches boy
By The Associated Press
Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 9:14 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 30, 2013
MIDLAND CITY, Ala. — A gunman holed up in a bunker with a 6-year-old hostage kept law officers at bay on Wednesday in an all-night, all-day standoff that began when he killed a school bus driver and dragged the boy away, authorities said.
SWAT teams took up positions around the gunman's rural property, and police negotiators tried to win the kindergartener's safe release.
The gunman, identified by neighbors as Jimmy Lee Dykes, a 65-year-old retired truck driver, was known around the neighborhood as a menacing figure who once beat a dog to death with a lead pipe, threatened to shoot children for setting foot on his property and patrolled his yard at night with a flashlight and a shotgun.
He had been scheduled to appear in court Wednesday morning to answer charges he shot at his neighbors in a dispute last month over a speed bump.
The standoff along a red dirt road began on Tuesday afternoon, after a gunman boarded a stopped school bus filled with children in the town of Midland City, population 2,300. Sheriff Wally Olsen said the man shot the bus driver when he refused to hand over a 6-year-old child. The gunman then took the boy away.
“As far as we know, there is no relation at all. He just wanted a child for a hostage situation,” said Michael Senn, a pastor who helped comfort the traumatized children after the attack.
- Massive tornado roars through Oklahoma City suburb
- Powerball officials: 80 percent of number combinations picked
- As nation’s hot spot for disasters, Oklahoma knows how to pull in federal aid
- Ruling: Sheriff profiles Latinos
- Health coverage could require bank account, debit or credit cards
- Army cadets told sex assaults must go
- Obama urges Americans to honor the fallen
- Latest California earthquake affects different part of state
- Black Spanish teacher fired for ‘N-word’
- Woes at refineries push gas prices up
- Spokane hazmat team search apartment for ricin
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.