Gunman kills driver of bus, snatches boy
MIDLAND CITY, Ala. — A gunman holed up in a bunker with a 6-year-old hostage kept law officers at bay on Wednesday in an all-night, all-day standoff that began when he killed a school bus driver and dragged the boy away, authorities said.
SWAT teams took up positions around the gunman's rural property, and police negotiators tried to win the kindergartener's safe release.
The gunman, identified by neighbors as Jimmy Lee Dykes, a 65-year-old retired truck driver, was known around the neighborhood as a menacing figure who once beat a dog to death with a lead pipe, threatened to shoot children for setting foot on his property and patrolled his yard at night with a flashlight and a shotgun.
He had been scheduled to appear in court Wednesday morning to answer charges he shot at his neighbors in a dispute last month over a speed bump.
The standoff along a red dirt road began on Tuesday afternoon, after a gunman boarded a stopped school bus filled with children in the town of Midland City, population 2,300. Sheriff Wally Olsen said the man shot the bus driver when he refused to hand over a 6-year-old child. The gunman then took the boy away.
“As far as we know, there is no relation at all. He just wanted a child for a hostage situation,” said Michael Senn, a pastor who helped comfort the traumatized children after the attack.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Truck carrying 13.7M bees overturns
- Collection gives insight into Oklahoma City federal building bomber McVeigh
- Social media makes it difficult for ‘hero’ to stay anonymous
- Work crew triggers Calif. blast
- Shuster admits to ‘personal relationship’ with airline industry lobbyist
- Foggy Interstate 70 pileup injures dozen in Colorado
- Deputy tells ‘Today’ how he mistook pistol for stun gun in shooting death in Oklahoma
- Accused terror plotter pleads not guilty in Ohio
- Cardinal Francis George of Chicago dead at 78
- Deportations of detained immigrants wasted millions, watchdog report finds
- Oklahoma teenager found guilty in Aussie jogger’s killing