Colorado theater shooting victims' safety a concern

| Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013, 9:54 p.m.

DENVER — Victims and witnesses in the Colorado theater shootings have been pestered by conspiracy theorists, impersonated in court filings and their addresses and phone numbers had been posted online, prosecutors said.

In a document made public late Wednesday, District Attorney George Brauchler said some victims are concerned for their safety because of the unwanted attention.

Brauchler asked District Judge William Sylvester to ensure the victims' and witnesses' names are redacted from any documents released, although many were identified in previously released court filings and some have granted media interviews, called news conferences or appeared at public events.

Brauchler said it is important to accommodate the victims' and witnesses' wishes because the prosecution's case requires the cooperation of some of them.

James Holmes is accused of killing 12 people and wounding 70 at a theater in the Denver suburb of Aurora on July 20. He is slated to enter a plea next month.

In a court filing dated Tuesday, Brauchler said some victims have been subjected to “relentless contacts by proponents of purported ‘conspiracies.' ” He also said maps with the addresses and phone numbers of victims have been posted online, and some people allegedly impersonating victims and witnesses have filed court motions in the case.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 
Show commenting policy