Trouble mounts for Nev. official Brooks
Troubled Nevada Assemblyman Steven Brooks was arrested early Sunday in Las Vegas on suspicion of physically attacking a family member, then grabbing for an officer's weapon.
The arrest occurred only days after the North Las Vegas Democrat embarked on a three-week leave following a string of bizarre events that began with his Jan. 19 arrest for allegedly threatening Assembly Speaker Marilyn Kirkpatrick.
Brooks, 40, was “agitated” and refused to obey officers' orders when they arrived to find him outside a home after responding to a report of a domestic dispute, according to police. Brooks is accused of fighting and grabbing for an officer's weapon as they tried to arrest him shortly after midnight.
Police spokesman Bill Cassell said the domestic dispute occurred inside the home, but he did not know the identity of the homeowner. No other details about the dispute were immediately available.
Las Vegas police follow a policy of not identifying the relationships of domestic dispute victims to suspects, Cassell said.
Brooks was booked into the Clark County Detention Center on misdemeanor charges of domestic battery and obstructing a public officer. His bail was set at $4,000, and he awaits an initial court appearance on Monday morning.
Brooks' attorney, Mitchell Posin, said he probably would talk to Brooks later Sunday. “It would be premature for me to say anything until I hear what his side of the story is,” Posin said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Santa Ana winds cut power to thousands in Southern California
- Some Catholics ruled out as jurors in Boston Marathon bombing case
- Suspect identified in missing Georgia couple case
- Blockbuster snowstorm aims northeast
- Ramping up e-cigarette voltage may be more hazardous to health
- Orcas could land on endangered list
- Arizona hospital tests brain tumor drugs by giving patients dose, then operating
- Lawmakers target gay nuptials as Supreme Court ruling nears
- Police: Man kills co-worker, then himself at NYC Home Depot
- Navy wants to increase use of sonar-emitting buoys
- Obama to seek protection of wilderness designation for Alaska refuge