L.A. offers $1M reward for ex-cop suspected in killings
LOS ANGELES — Seeking leads in a huge manhunt, Los Angeles authorities on Sunday offered a $1 million reward for information leading to the arrest of Christopher Dorner, the former police officer suspected in three killings.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced the reward, raised through several private and public donors, at a news conference at LAPD headquarters.
“Our dedication to catch this killer remains steadfast,” Villaraigosa said. “We will not tolerate this reign of terror.”
Meanwhile, authorities said camping gear was found along with weapons inside Dorner's burned-out pickup truck. The vehicle found Thursday in the ski resort town of Big Bear Lake was so charred that investigators couldn't be more specific about the nature of its contents, Sgt. Rudy Lopez said.
Police investigated a taunting phone call that may have been made by Dorner to the father of the woman they believe he killed last week.
SWAT teams with air support and bloodhounds fanned out for the fourth day to search for Dorner, who has vowed revenge against several former LAPD colleagues whom he blames for ending his career.
The effort was significantly scaled back as the weekend went on.
Authorities say Dorner has vowed revenge against several former colleagues. The killings and threats that Dorner allegedly made in an online rant have led police to provide protection to 50 families, Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cincy officer indicted on murder charge in fatal shooting of motorist
- Mich. high court strikes down mandatory fees for state employees in unions
- Calif. oil slick expected to dissipate
- University of New Hampshire language guide panned
- Clinton to testify before House committee on Benghazi in October
- In dispute over coal mine project, two ways of life hang in the balance
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption
- House approves bill targeting VA staffers
- Planned Parenthood requests expert study
- Undocumented alien released, suspected in crime spree
- ‘Aggressive’ search under way for 2 Florida teens lost on fishing trip