L.A. offers $1M reward for ex-cop suspected in killings
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 8:00 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, February 10, 2013
LOS ANGELES — Seeking leads in a huge manhunt, Los Angeles authorities on Sunday offered a $1 million reward for information leading to the arrest of Christopher Dorner, the former police officer suspected in three killings.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced the reward, raised through several private and public donors, at a news conference at LAPD headquarters.
“Our dedication to catch this killer remains steadfast,” Villaraigosa said. “We will not tolerate this reign of terror.”
Meanwhile, authorities said camping gear was found along with weapons inside Dorner's burned-out pickup truck. The vehicle found Thursday in the ski resort town of Big Bear Lake was so charred that investigators couldn't be more specific about the nature of its contents, Sgt. Rudy Lopez said.
Police investigated a taunting phone call that may have been made by Dorner to the father of the woman they believe he killed last week.
SWAT teams with air support and bloodhounds fanned out for the fourth day to search for Dorner, who has vowed revenge against several former LAPD colleagues whom he blames for ending his career.
The effort was significantly scaled back as the weekend went on.
Authorities say Dorner has vowed revenge against several former colleagues. The killings and threats that Dorner allegedly made in an online rant have led police to provide protection to 50 families, Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck said.
- U.S. hardens drone stance
- Terror study: Utilities remain unprepared for cyberattack
- Feds to review policy on media leaks
- Anti-war activist heckles Obama over Gitmo
- IRS official who took Fifth replaced
- Nominee chosen for key Ill. post
- NASA plans to snag asteroid, tow it near moon for inspection
- Schools told to get moving on more gym time
- Crafts chain opposes birth control mandate
- NYC man abducted, burned with acid
- Utah teen held in deaths of brothers
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.