Wash. man, 82, tackles burglary suspect
LONGVIEW, Wash. — An 82-year-old Washington state man says he was a little sore but otherwise OK after tackling and helping police catch a felon one-third his age.
Terry Miracle of Longview was weeding in his garden on Friday when he heard a commotion. It was police chasing a burglary suspect identified as 27-year-old Morgan Perry Bluehorse.
As officers chased him through yards and over fences, Miracle could hear them coming closer, The Daily News reported Sunday. Miracle told the newspaper that he got into position, remembering his high school football training from 65 years earlier, and the suspect came barreling around the house.
“He was looking back over his shoulder to see where they were, and he turned around the corner of the house, and he was coming at me just like the runners used to do when I played football,” Miracle said.
He ran toward the suspect, who halted and stumbled as Miracle launched a “cross-body block.”
“I kicked out my knee, as I always did with a cross-body block, and caught his knee with my knee,” Miracle said. “He went down and so did I.”
The suspect got up and started running again, but the delay gave police time to catch up. An officer slammed into his chest.
“It sounded like somebody hit the bass drum, and he went back down this time,” Miracle said.
Bluehorse of Kelso was booked for investigation of second-degree burglary related to an earlier investigation, third-degree theft, trespassing, resisting arrest, obstructing an officer, malicious mischief and methamphetamine possession. He also had a no-bail Department of Corrections warrant, officials said.
Bluehorse has a long criminal history involving burglary.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- IRS says hackers stole tax info from 100,000
- More rain worsens flooding in Texas
- Gouging rare in loans to troops
- Texas man charged with helping friend’s bid to join ISIS
- Cleveland agrees to overhaul police under settlement with Justice Department
- Airman kills 1 in North Dakota store
- ‘Free-range’ parents cleared of neglect
- Shootings, slayings surge during Memorial Day weekend in Chicago, Baltimore
- 12 missing after flooding in Texas sweeps away vacation home
- Patriot Act deal looks unlikely
- Faulty kitchen fan triggers alarms in Capitol visitors center