1 dead, 7 hurt in firebombing of Detroit home
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013, 8:48 p.m.
DETROIT — Arson and homicide investigators are probing the firebombing on Sunday of a Detroit family's home in which one person died and three were critically hurt.
Eight of the nine people inside were injured, police told the Detroit Free Press.
No arrests or suspects were immediately reported.
Detroit police referred an Associated Press request for details to a fire official, who said he did not have any information on the death or seriousness of injuries of those in the house.
Firefighters got a call at 6:10 a.m. Sunday to respond to a house on the city's near east side, said Senior Chief Scott Tederington. He said he knew of five people taken to hospitals. No firefighters were reported injured, he said.
Two people were treated at the scene, and six were hospitalized, police Cmdr. Steve Dolunt told Detroit media outlets. He said three were in critical condition and three were in serious condition.
“It's pretty bad, but it could have been a lot worse,” Dolunt said.
Witnesses said they saw two men drive up to the house and throw a firebomb through the front window, Dolunt said. He said it was the private home of a large family ranging from 29 to 60.
Kita Thomas, 32, said she woke up early Sunday to the sound of crackling and popping, and saw fire coming from her neighbor's home.
“I ran outside with no shoes or socks, and banged on the doors and windows, trying to wake everybody up,” Thomas, a nursing assistant, told The Detroit News.
Thomas said a man and woman were on the second-floor back porch and told her they couldn't go back in the house because it was too smoky.
She said the couple threw a key down to her, and she and another neighbor tried unsuccessfully to open the doors just as firefighters arrived.
“It was just chaotic, but the firefighters did a good job this morning, they took care of business,” Thomas said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hearing to determine fate of sergeant accused of killing 2 deaf Iraqi youths
- Precautions lack year since fatal blast at plant
- Mo. mayor steps down over anti-Semitic comments
- Denver wife killed 12 minutes into 911 call, sparking inquiry
- Images best of readied D-Day ships
- IRS awards millions in bonuses to its people who don’t pay taxes
- Obama surveys mudslide devastation
- Drug crime reclassification to help ex-cons get vote rights
- Justices critical of Ohio law punishing campaign lies
- Moscow to get serious ‘message’ from U.S.
- Senator pitches gasoline tax increase