Twister tears through Hattiesburg, Miss.
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 9:15 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, February 10, 2013
HATTIESBURG, Miss. — An apparent tornado passed through the heart of Hattiesburg on Sunday as a wave of severe storms caused injuries and significant damage.
Forrest County Fire Coordinator Chip Brown said there is major damage in Hattiesburg and to the northeast in Petal, including on the campus of the University of Southern Mississippi. He couldn't confirm injuries.
The storm passed along one of the city's main streets.
“We had a tornado touch down. We have a lot of damage,” said Kyle Hopkins, operations director for Forrest County emergency operations.
The university released a statement saying that several buildings had been damaged but that no injuries were reported. Campus police declared a state of emergency and asked anyone not on campus to stay away.
Pictures posted on Facebook by WDAM in Hattiesburg showed rows of trees flattened in the Oak Grove area and damage to commercial buildings.
Marion County emergency director Aaron Greer says three injuries — at least one minor — have been reported in Pickwick, near Columbia. He says two people were taken to a hospital.
The National Weather Service says bad weather is likely to stretch into Fat Tuesday in southeast Louisiana. Jefferson Parish has canceled a Monday night parade.
- NSA chief: Snooping uncovered 50 terror ‘events’
- Anti-abortion bill clears House, likely to go no further
- Centuries-old beam could hint at wreck
- 3 accused of enslaving mother, girl in Ohio
- Newtown marks 6 months by reading names of victims, plus 5,000 Americans killed with guns since massacre
- Google challenges gag orders
- Long plateau ends as fewer adults smoke
- Mayors say food stamps shouldn’t go for soda
- 2-year-old who lost legs in accident takes to prosthetics
- Border proposal receives boost
- Capitol Hill cooperation allows congressman to breathe easier
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.