TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Napolitano says she was unaware of illegal intern case

Daily Photo Galleries

By The Associated Press
Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2013, 9:18 p.m.
 

WASHINGTON — Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told a Senate panel on Wednesday that she was not consulted about the case of an illegal immigrant and registered sex offender before he was arrested in December.

Napolitano said she learned about the case against Luis Abrahan Sanchez Zavaleta when The Associated Press wrote about it last year.

Sanchez, a registered sex offender in New Jersey, was working as an unpaid intern for Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., when he was identified by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials as an illegal immigrant eligible for deportation.

According to internal ICE documents provided to the Senate Judiciary Committee, agents were ready to arrest Sanchez in late October but were ordered to delay the arrest because superiors were told that the case could generate “significant Congressional and media interest.” Sanchez was arrested in early December.

A federal official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the case, said last year that the Department of Homeland Security ordered that the arrest be delayed until after the November election. DHS has denied that allegation.

On Wednesday, Napolitano did not address the specific reasons that led officials to delay Sanchez's arrest. She said the real issue was why Sanchez, 18, was not arrested by federal authorities in 2010, when ICE was notified of his sex offense.

Sanchez, who came to the United States on a visitor visa good for six months, was arrested by New Jersey law enforcement in October 2009 on state charges of aggravated sexual assault. He was later found to have violated the law, sentenced to probation and required to register as a sex offender.

According to the internal ICE documents, local prosecutors in New Jersey notified ICE about Sanchez sometime between March and May 2010. The documents show that the officer who received the notification determined that because Sanchez was a juvenile at the time of the offense, the case needed “additional research to determine removability.” The case was put aside “in order to focus on high-priority cases that were ready for immediate action,” the documents show.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. Fight against Islamic State at impasse, military commanders say
  2. Doctor 1st Ebola virus case in New York City
  3. Federal officials: Dallas nurse free of Ebola
  4. West Virginia University expels 3 students for postgame misconduct
  5. Feds fault security of tax info gathered for health care law benefits
  6. Sampling of toxins under way at former steel plant in Kentucky
  7. Huge gold nugget goes on sale for $400K
  8. Man shot from behind, Wecht’s autopsy finds
  9. Missouri officials faulted by feds for ‘selective’ probe in police shooting death
  10. Detainee to be transferred from Afghanistan to U.S. for trial
  11. Defacements in national parks lead to outrage, probe
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.