Escapee who stabbed detective in Texas vows not to go back to prison
GRAPEVINE, Texas — The Florida prisoner who stabbed a detective and escaped near Dallas while being transported to Nevada is “a schizophrenic” who vowed not to return to prison, according to authorities and a 911 call released on Wednesday.
Alberto Morales, 42, escaped on Monday by using a piece from his eyeglasses to stab Miami-Dade Detective Jaime Pardinas, one of two officers transferring the prisoner by car to Nevada. The escape happened while they were stopped in a Wal-Mart store parking lot in Grapevine, a community near the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.
Grapevine police spokesman Robert Eberling said authorities continue to search near the airport and will do so until they believe they should look elsewhere. He said the search covers “any place anybody can hide,” including yards and drainage ditches.
Eberling said inmates who knew Morales in prison have told investigators that he had vowed not to return.
“He's made it pretty clear that he's not going back to prison,” Eberling said.
On a recording of a 911 call released Wednesday, Pardinas can be heard breathing heavily as he tells the operator that he's been stabbed. He described Morales' height, weight and appearance and then added, “He's a schizophrenic.”
On another 911 call, a bystander told the operator: “There's a guy with a gun and somebody on the floor bleeding.” The caller than clarified that “the guy with the gun is helping the guy that's bleeding.”
Pardinas, 54, remained hospitalized Wednesday after undergoing surgery for deep stab wounds to the neck, shoulder and back and a collapsed lung, said Miami-Dade police Sgt. Patricia Bimonte.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High court to weigh pregnancy work rights
- FBI investigates celebrities’ nude photo claims
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- U.S. to get base in Niger to aid Islamist hunt
- Ferguson police begin wearing body cameras
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- Perry distances himself from unflattering image tweeted of DA
- Texas GOP lawmaker calls for end to 40-year crude oil export ban
- Anti-abortion law in effect in Louisiana, with a caveat
- Obama backs off immigration vow
- Girl accidentally kills Arizona gun instructor with Uzi