Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Immigrants warned of increase in scams
- Study touts benefits of full-day preschool
- Some in Congress turn down retirement pension, but many cash in
- Ferguson angles to avoid fate of riot-torn cities
- With no indictment, chaos fills Ferguson streets
- Tough Texas gets prison results by going softer on crime
- Oregon police dog fired from job
- Kahlo’s workplace to be reimagined in New York Botanical Garden
- D.C. charges woman over armed protest
- Brown family blasts prosecutor; Wilson speaks
- Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg has stent placed in heart artery