Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arizona, Texas university shootings kill 2
- Inmates help dying prisoners in Ohio hospice
- House OKs end of oil export ban adopted in 1970s in response to Arab embargo
- Navy intelligence official indicted on charges of theft, conspiracy
- More emails on Benghazi to go public
- Gun rights supporters protest Obama’s trip to Oregon after campus shooting
- Transient trio jailed in pair’s slayings in California
- Obama’s college list isn’t complete; Grove City, among others, aren’t included
- Allies reach Pacific Rim trade deal likely to divide political parties
- McCarthy drops out as GOP speaker candidate in shocker
- Officials: Broken rail caused February West Virginia train derailment