Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alaska-bound, Obama makes waves by renaming Mount McKinley
- Postal Service falls short of slower mail delivery standards
- Pope Francis’ lack of familiarity with United States unusual
- New Orleans slow to heal 10 years after Hurricane Katrina
- CDC lauds schools for better nutrition
- Memorial service for slain Virginia journalists brings call for action
- Supreme Court can resolve Kentucky county clerk’s refusal to issue marriage licenses to gays
- Thousands in New Orleans became targets of unscrupulous contractors
- Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Fischer open to interest rate hike
- Obama inches closer to veto-proof support for Iran nuclear deal
- Motive in ambush of Houston area deputy remains unknown