Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Parks threatened by dispute over renewal
- Veterans frustrated by GOP presidential debate on Iraq War
- Senate foils phone spies in close vote
- Harvey Girls recognized for role in history of West
- Why FedEx truck slammed into bus in Calif. in fatal crash still unknown year later
- Clinton Foundation reports as much as $26.4M in previously undisclosed payments
- Michigan woman marks 116th birthday
- Texas, Oklahoma residents urged to flee flooding
- Congress passes short-term fix for highways program
- Pipeline didn’t have shut-off valve
- Police kill suspect in fatal shootings of Missouri woman, son