Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Civil War officer to receive Medal of Honor for actions at Gettysburg
- Insurers can discourage sickest patients from enrolling
- High court to weigh pregnancy work rights
- Perry distances himself from unflattering image tweeted of DA
- FBI investigates celebrities’ nude photo claims
- Powerful GOP leaders linked to tax-avoidance
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Anti-abortion law in effect in Louisiana, with a caveat
- Ferguson police begin wearing body cameras
- Texas GOP lawmaker calls for end to 40-year crude oil export ban
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought