Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- VA Phoenix social worker on leave for Halloween costume
- U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic State recruits
- Ads for Nazi-themed show pulled from NYC subways
- Police investigate flights diverted for suspicious passengers, bomb threats
- Student dies in traditional Ohio State University lake jump
- Experts foresee big premium increases for Medicare drug plan
- Nation’s $1 billion defense against biological terrorism faulty, GAO watchdog warns
- Foreign policy expert: Obama administration should create Syria safe areas
- Chicago cop charged with murder in killing of black teen
- Self-driving vehicles closer to getting green light as feds ease stance
- U.S. troops suspended in airstrike on Afghan hospital