Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
By The Associated Press
Published: Saturday, February 16, 2013, 6:45 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, February 16, 2013
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.There are currently no comments for this story.
- IRS plans bonus payouts as Tea Party rallies in D.C.
- FBI: Drones in use in U.S.
- Fed suggests it’s closer to slowing bond purchases
- House cuts $2B from food stamps
- HPV vaccine pays quick dividends
- House panel votes to end No Child Left Behind
- Rush job gets key bridge reopened to help Northwest
- Latest search for Hoffa’s body proves unsuccessful
- Wildfires continue to torment Southwest
- ‘Sopranos’ star Gandolfini dies at age 51
- Commission likes Ike monument proposal