Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Supreme Court’s health care law ruling worries 34 states
- Homeland Security panned for passing on bio-threat technology
- Buffet: Berkshire’s built to last
- Florida fisherman’s high court win spurs call for legal reform
- Perceived slights have some New Yorkers longing for Pennsylvania
- Paul edges Walker in CPAC straw poll
- Most young Republicans back legal marijuana
- Monarch butterflies find milkweed supply dwindles
- Huge, ancient quasar could alter theories on black holes
- Congress approves 1-week funding measure for Homeland Security
- Hackers won’t take break if DHS shuts down, officials warn