Calif. man jailed 7 years after wife falls overboard
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — A California man has been arrested in southwest Florida on an outstanding murder warrant in the death of his ex-wife, who went overboard off an Italian cruise ship seven years ago.
Lonnie Kocontes, 55, was taken into custody on Friday night by federal marshals, authorities said.
Prosecutors said on Saturday that Kocontes strangled his ex-wife Micki Kaneski on board the cruise ship Island Escape and then threw her body overboard into the Mediterranean Sea on May 26, 2006.
The arrest ended an investigation that started in 2008, when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski's bank accounts into joint accounts he held with his new wife.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S., Cuba patching torn relations with historic accord
- $1.5B more a year — from fees tacked onto phone bills — earmarked for faster Internet
- AP sources: Cuba releases U.S. prisoner Alan Gross
- ISIS does ‘the warm and fuzzy’ to attract women, doctors, accountants
- Senators vote to confirm Murthy as Obama’s choice for surgeon general
- Billion gallons of cruise sewage dumped into ocean in 2014, environmental group finds
- NYC teenager a liar, not a penny stocks whiz worth $72M
- Social Security resumes aggressive method of trying to collect debts from families
- Family of man shot dead by police in Ohio Wal-Mart sues
- Bill to save tax breaks on its way to Obama’s desk