Prized pet was poisoned at Westminster, owner suspects
By The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, February 28, 2013, 8:27 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 1, 2013
NEW YORK — A dog owner says she thinks there's a chance her pedigree pup was deliberately poisoned while competing at the Westminster Kennel Club show, causing it to die several days later.
“It is in the realm of possibility,” Lynette Blue said on Thursday.
Blue co-owned a 3-year-old Samoyed named Cruz, and said he probably swallowed poison at Westminster earlier this month. Four days after competing, the dog died, on Feb. 16, while at a show in Colorado.
Blue has worked since the 1970s with Samoyeds, a sturdy, medium-sized breed. She said that while there was no evidence foul play was involved, certain symptoms were consistent with dogs who ingest rat or mouse poison. That was the reason she said she decided against a necropsy — an autopsy for animals.
“The timeline adds up. There's no other scenario we can come up with other than poison,” she said.
- Researchers develop food map to pinpoint how Americans eat
- GOP: Obama can apologize for IRS action
- Background checks ongoing fight for NRA
- $10K reward offered in New Orleans shooting
- Marine Corps sergeant reunited with combat dog in surprise ceremony
- Popular psychologist Joyce Brothers dead at 85
- Exploitation of seniors cost them $3B in year
- Amid debris of tornado-ravaged Texas town, ‘miracle’ dog found
- Republicans see IRS scandal parallel in EPA info requests
- Kansas City museum plans to fly ‘Connie’
- Ginsburg: Roe v. Wade gave abortion opponents a target
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.