TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Prized pet was poisoned at Westminster, owner suspects

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

By The Associated Press
Thursday, Feb. 28, 2013, 8:27 p.m.
 

NEW YORK — A dog owner says she thinks there's a chance her pedigree pup was deliberately poisoned while competing at the Westminster Kennel Club show, causing it to die several days later.

“It is in the realm of possibility,” Lynette Blue said on Thursday.

Blue co-owned a 3-year-old Samoyed named Cruz, and said he probably swallowed poison at Westminster earlier this month. Four days after competing, the dog died, on Feb. 16, while at a show in Colorado.

Blue has worked since the 1970s with Samoyeds, a sturdy, medium-sized breed. She said that while there was no evidence foul play was involved, certain symptoms were consistent with dogs who ingest rat or mouse poison. That was the reason she said she decided against a necropsy — an autopsy for animals.

“The timeline adds up. There's no other scenario we can come up with other than poison,” she said.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. Experts met in Nepal week ago to discuss earthquake they knew would rip into Kathmandu
  2. House demands details of Taliban detainees swap for Bergdahl
  3. Study a surprise: Commercial bees unfazed by pesticides
  4. Footage of protesters walking on flag sparks strife at Georgia university
  5. ‘Organic’ tag on water-raised produce raises ire
  6. Magma chamber spied under Yellowstone volcano
  7. 15 buffalo that escaped from farm killed in upstate N.Y.
  8. Hostility at VA lingers, panel told
  9. HIV cases tied to drug use multiply daily in Indiana
  10. Unhappiness over plan to unfreeze billions in oil revenue for Iran threatens nuclear bill in Senate
  11. Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom