Prized pet was poisoned at Westminster, owner suspects
NEW YORK — A dog owner says she thinks there's a chance her pedigree pup was deliberately poisoned while competing at the Westminster Kennel Club show, causing it to die several days later.
“It is in the realm of possibility,” Lynette Blue said on Thursday.
Blue co-owned a 3-year-old Samoyed named Cruz, and said he probably swallowed poison at Westminster earlier this month. Four days after competing, the dog died, on Feb. 16, while at a show in Colorado.
Blue has worked since the 1970s with Samoyeds, a sturdy, medium-sized breed. She said that while there was no evidence foul play was involved, certain symptoms were consistent with dogs who ingest rat or mouse poison. That was the reason she said she decided against a necropsy — an autopsy for animals.
“The timeline adds up. There's no other scenario we can come up with other than poison,” she said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dell buying EMC in a transaction valued at about $67 billion
- Supreme Court to consider reprieve for teens who kill
- Army budget cuts stretch forces thin, threaten readiness, secretary says during conference
- Part of major highway reopens as South Carolina recovers from floods
- El Niño storms might not be savior for Calif.
- Tennessee bill seeks to curtail teaching of ‘religious doctrine’
- Dissolving heart stent fuels hope for new generation of devices
- Half Moon Bay contest dubs 1,969-pound pumpkin the plumpest
- Wyoming fire forces evacuations
- Community lines streets as students return to class in Roseburg
- House’s Flores will seek speakership if Ryan doesn’t