Pilot spots drone in the skies above New York's Kennedy Airport
NEW YORK — The FBI and the Federal Aviation Administration said on Tuesday they are investigating a pilot's report that he spotted a small unmanned aircraft near Kennedy Airport.
The Alitalia pilot told controllers that he saw the aircraft as he approached a Kennedy runway at about 1:15 p.m. Monday. The pilot said the aircraft was about three miles southeast of the airport runway and was flying at an altitude of about 1,750 feet.
The FBI said the unmanned aircraft was described as black with four propellers and no more than 3 feet wide. It came within 200 feet of the Alitalia plane, the FBI said.
“The FBI is asking anyone with information about the unmanned aircraft or the operator to contact us,” Special Agent in Charge John Giacalone said. “Our paramount concern is the safety of aircraft passengers and crew.”
The Alitalia pilot can be heard on radio calls captured by LiveATC.net, a website that posts air traffic communications, saying, “We saw a drone, a drone aircraft.” The FAA said the pilot did not take evasive action and the plane landed safely.
The FAA and FBI did not say whether passengers might have seen the unmanned aircraft.
It's unclear what the small aircraft was.
For recreational hobbyists, flying remote-controlled planes is only allowed by the FAA up to 400 feet, and within sight of the operator. If they are going to fly within three miles of an airport, they have to let air traffic controllers know.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Legal experts back business push for immigration changes
- Rescued dog OK; bathtub less so
- Cause of New Mexico nuclear-waste accident remains a mystery
- 2-year ban proposed on rope-swinging from Utah arches
- Civil War officer to receive Medal of Honor for actions at Gettysburg
- Mexican leader given message: Free Marine from border jail
- Study: Facebook, Twitter stifle discourse on hot-button issues
- Suspected serial stowaway arrested in Ariz.
- New rules for highly addictive, hydrocodone-containing medications near
- GMOs: Science and skepticism
- Justice Department to investigate DEA’s payment to Amtrak informant