Ohio troopers say 6 teens killed in SUV crash
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 3:53 p.m.
WARREN, Ohio - A northeast Ohio hospital says two of the six teenagers killed by a one-vehicle crash died while receiving treatment, and two other teens have been treated and released.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol says a sport utility vehicle carrying eight people crashed into a guardrail Sunday morning and landed in a pond near the city of Warren, about 60 miles east of Cleveland.
A nursing supervisor at St. Joseph Health Center in Warren says the two teens who were declared dead at the hospital were treated for "hypothermic drowning trauma." The two who survived were treated for bruising and other injuries.
A patrol spokesman says she doesn't know where the teens were headed.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
A sport utility vehicle carrying eight people crashed into a guardrail and landed in a pond early Sunday in northeast Ohio, killing six teenagers, the Ohio State Highway Patrol said.
The other two people inside survived the crash, in which the Honda Passport veered off the left side of a road, hit a guardrail and overturned, Lt. Anne Ralston said. Investigators say it came to rest in a pond just south of the city of Warren, about 60 miles east of Cleveland near the Pennsylvania state line.
Ralston didn't know where the people in the SUV were headed. She said the two injured were taken to a hospital. There was no information immediately available on their conditions.
All those killed were ages 14 to 19, authorities said. Their names weren't released, while family members were being contacted.
The highway patrol received the first call on the crash at 7:15 a.m., Ralston said. Divers helped the patrol, and local police referred calls to the patrol as well.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
- Study says regular pot use affects the brain
- Immigration activists threaten Obama, Democrats
- At least 5 women linked to sexual torture case in St. Louis
- Court upholds EPA emissions restrictions
- Subsitute for Pap smear scorned; overtreatment cited
- Suspect in Jewish community sites shootings appears in court in wheelchair
- Public employees union fights outside IRS collectors
- Storms rips up Mississippi RV park
- T. rex gets the red-carpet treatment at Smithsonian
- Authorities say they have trove of evidence against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in Boston Marathon bombing