Ohio troopers say 6 teens killed in SUV crash
WARREN, Ohio - A northeast Ohio hospital says two of the six teenagers killed by a one-vehicle crash died while receiving treatment, and two other teens have been treated and released.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol says a sport utility vehicle carrying eight people crashed into a guardrail Sunday morning and landed in a pond near the city of Warren, about 60 miles east of Cleveland.
A nursing supervisor at St. Joseph Health Center in Warren says the two teens who were declared dead at the hospital were treated for "hypothermic drowning trauma." The two who survived were treated for bruising and other injuries.
A patrol spokesman says she doesn't know where the teens were headed.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
A sport utility vehicle carrying eight people crashed into a guardrail and landed in a pond early Sunday in northeast Ohio, killing six teenagers, the Ohio State Highway Patrol said.
The other two people inside survived the crash, in which the Honda Passport veered off the left side of a road, hit a guardrail and overturned, Lt. Anne Ralston said. Investigators say it came to rest in a pond just south of the city of Warren, about 60 miles east of Cleveland near the Pennsylvania state line.
Ralston didn't know where the people in the SUV were headed. She said the two injured were taken to a hospital. There was no information immediately available on their conditions.
All those killed were ages 14 to 19, authorities said. Their names weren't released, while family members were being contacted.
The highway patrol received the first call on the crash at 7:15 a.m., Ralston said. Divers helped the patrol, and local police referred calls to the patrol as well.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- White House breach ‘a cry out for help,’ alleged intruder’s ex-wife says
- FBI, federal marshals join manhunt for survivalist accused of ambushing troopers
- 121 tourists stranded on schooner near Statue of Liberty
- Legislators urge Secret Service to reassess White House security
- Militia leader jailed in Army ID theft
- Beads in beauty products called toxin
- Global heat records tumble once again
- Officials say too many in the 18-64 age range skip flu vaccination
- Pair watching seals gets eyed up by a great white shark
- Indictment in Georgia tot’s death in hot car gives jury latitude to convict dad of malice or neglect
- Damage assessed from wildfire in Weed, Calif.