SUV in Ohio fatal accident stolen
WARREN, Ohio — Investigators on Monday tried to piece together what eight teenagers crammed into an allegedly stolen SUV were up to before the vehicle flipped over into a pond, killing six of them.
Authorities gave few details on where the group of friends had been and why they were out around daybreak Sunday, speeding down a two-lane road. The SUV's owner met with police and filed a stolen-car report; police said none of the teens was related to the owner or had asked to use the vehicle.
While the father of one of the dead said the teenagers were coming home from a sleepover at a friend's house, the mother of another boy killed said that her son and his best friend had lied about staying over at each other's homes that evening.
“If only he had listened,” said Lisa Williamson, mother of 14-year-old Brandon Murray. “I told him, ‘Don't you go nowhere.' But they're kids.”
The SUV hit a guardrail in an industrial section of town and landed upside down in about 5 feet of water, filling up within minutes, State Highway Patrol Lt. Brian Holt. Five boys and a young woman, ages 14 to 19, were killed.
Two boys smashed a rear window, wriggled out of the wreckage and swam away, then ran a quarter-mile to a home to call 911, authorities said. Brian Henry, 18, and Asher Lewis, 15, suffered only minor injuries.
Investigators said they believe excessive speed was a key factor in the crash, which took place in a 35-mph zone alongside a steel mill near what's known in the neighborhood as “Dead Man's Curve.” Authorities did not say how fast the SUV was going. They were also awaiting the results of drug and alcohol tests.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Warhol bodyguard sued over hidden artwork
- North Korea may have key to nuclear missile, general says
- Philadelphia Mafia figure returned to prison for meeting friend
- New York, New Jersey order 21-day quarantine of all in contact with Ebola virus
- Washington city takes stock of damage from rare tornado
- Seattle area school homecoming ‘prince’ guns down classmates
- Test confirms remains are missing Virginia student’s
- Hatchet attack was terror, NYPD says
- 2 California deputies slain, suspect captured
- 1686 shipwreck ‘like dinosaur’ being rebuilt for museum
- Vehicle smashes Commandments on capitol grounds in Oklahoma City