4 teens killed in Illinois crash identified
CHICAGO — A coroner has identified the four high school students killed when their car skidded off a bridge into an icy creek in rural northern Illinois.
Will County Coroner Patrick O'Neil said 14-year-old Matthew Bailey, 15-year-old Cody Carter, 17-year-old Cheyenne Fender and 15-year-old Micalah Sembach died. O'Neil saidall four teenagers were from Wilmington, about 60 miles southwest of Chicago.
The coroner said the students were in a car registered to Fender. Authorities are investigating who was driving.
The Will County Sheriff's Department said the bodies were recovered Tuesday from Forked Creek near Wilmington. Officials said the teens had been missing since Monday evening. Authorities don't know exactly when the accident occurred.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pence: ‘Not going to change’ religious freedom law
- 2 bodies found at site of gas explosion in NYC apartments
- Before leak, NSA mulled ending phone program
- Despite high gas costs, Northeast resistant to pipelines
- Mining for tourists? A dubious economic savior in Appalachia
- News Alert
- Refunds hijacked in unique manner
- Veterans Affairs construction chief retires amid criticism over project delays, ballooning costs
- Mysteries of dark matter come to light in Science study
- A bipartisan push on toxic chemicals makes some Democrats fume
- Run from Cuba, Americans cling to claims for seized property