Marine kills 2, self at Quantico base in Va.
QUANTICO, Va. — A Marine who worked at a rigorous school that tests Marines who want to become officers shot and killed two of his colleagues and then committed suicide in a barracks dorm room.
The three Marines — two men and a woman — were part of the staff at the officer candidates school on the sprawling Marine Corps Base Quantico in northern Virginia. Their relationship was not clear, though military officials described the shootings as “isolated.” They did not release a motive or the identities of those slain.
About 10:30 Thursday night, authorities found one Marine dead in the Taylor Hall barracks, base commander Col. David W. Maxwell said. A second victim and the gunman were also discovered in Taylor Hall, a red brick building that can house about 110 Marines.
Only Marines who work at the school live in Taylor Hall. The candidates for officer live elsewhere on the base.
After the first shooting, Marines and their families were told to stay inside over a loudspeaker known as the “giant voice.” The lockdown was lifted about 2:30 a.m. Friday.
Base spokesman Lt. Agustin Solivan said everyone else was safe, including the officer candidates.
Officials did not say what the three Marines did at the school, which is known for its grueling 10-week program that evaluates candidates on physical stamina, intelligence and leadership.
Maxwell said he anticipates a “lengthy investigation” and did not expect the identities of the shooter or the victims to be released until at least Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WikiLeaks releases purported CIA documents on operatives’ travel
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- Dr. Oz no wizard, fact-checkers say in study showing evidence doesn’t back claims
- Obama fires back on foreign policy on Cuba, Russia
- Obama says Sony hack not an act of war
- IBM’s Watson supercomputing system to be applied to PTSD
- Gray wolf decision reversed
- Ghostly snailfish found at record depth
- 3-D printed prosthetics give dog ability to run
- Killer of New York police officers angry over Garner chokehold death, officials say
- Supreme Court says Arizona cannot withhold licenses from young immigrants who entered illegally