Colorado parolee’s role in slayings probed
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, March 22, 2013, 5:48 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 22, 2013
DECATUR, Texas — The man at the center of a two-state mystery who led Texas authorities on a high-speed chase on Thursday has been identified as a former Colorado inmate and white supremacist. Now investigators are trying to piece together whether he killed the chief of Colorado prisons and a pizza deliveryman and where he was headed when Texas police stopped him.
Evan Spencer Ebel, 28, was fatally shot after he crashed his vehicle into a semi and opened fire on his pursuers. He was a parolee and member of a white supremacist prison gang called the 211s, a federal law enforcement official said on Friday.
Colorado officials would not confirm Ebel's gang ties or say whether they had anything to do with the death of Prisons Director Tom Clements. But they said that since the Tuesday night killing, state troopers have provided extra security for Colorado government officials.
Denver police said they were “confident” he was involved in the death of Nathan Leon, 27, the pizza deliveryman whose body was found on Sunday.
Ebel's tie to Clements' killing comes from the car he drove — a black Cadillac with mismatched Colorado plates that fit the description of a vehicle spotted outside Clements' home just before the prison chief answered his front door and was shot to death.
- Controversial IRS official removed from post
- Hurricane season forecast: a whopper
- Student loan rates targeted
- Mom in enduring image: ‘God’s arms around’ 8-year-old daughter
- Okla. tornado survivors say goodbye as year ends
- Doctor-turned-congressman fined for sex with patients
- FBI kills Florida friend of Boston Marathon bomber
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- U.S. admits drones killed 4 Americans
- Fort Hood suspect wants to represent himself
- From top to bottom, IRS officials not cooperating with lawmakers on targeting tactics
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.