Colorado parolee's role in slayings probed
DECATUR, Texas — The man at the center of a two-state mystery who led Texas authorities on a high-speed chase on Thursday has been identified as a former Colorado inmate and white supremacist. Now investigators are trying to piece together whether he killed the chief of Colorado prisons and a pizza deliveryman and where he was headed when Texas police stopped him.
Evan Spencer Ebel, 28, was fatally shot after he crashed his vehicle into a semi and opened fire on his pursuers. He was a parolee and member of a white supremacist prison gang called the 211s, a federal law enforcement official said on Friday.
Colorado officials would not confirm Ebel's gang ties or say whether they had anything to do with the death of Prisons Director Tom Clements. But they said that since the Tuesday night killing, state troopers have provided extra security for Colorado government officials.
Denver police said they were “confident” he was involved in the death of Nathan Leon, 27, the pizza deliveryman whose body was found on Sunday.
Ebel's tie to Clements' killing comes from the car he drove — a black Cadillac with mismatched Colorado plates that fit the description of a vehicle spotted outside Clements' home just before the prison chief answered his front door and was shot to death.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Feds eye use of federal dollars for ads for for-profit colleges
- Fetal parts in Planned Parenthood lab shown in 4th video
- Ex-Cincy cop pleads not guilty, posts bond
- Blankenship’s attorneys want mine blast evidence out of trial
- Minn. man accused of slaying protected Zimbabwean lion says he thought the trip was legal
- Hope dims for Fla. teens lost at sea
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption
- McClatchy: Emails on Clinton’s private server contain Benghazi information
- Minn. dentist laying low in slaying of lion
- Christian college in Illinois to stop providing health care over Obamacare
- Pluto has 100 miles of haze, nitrogen-infused flowing ice