Police: Man put anti-hyperactivity pill in Easter egg
DAPHNE, Ala. — Police in Daphne say a 21-year-old man has been charged with disorderly conduct because a child ate an Adderall pill hidden in an Easter egg.
Authorities say Jarret Helm was arrested because a 6-year-old ate medication he said was accidentally hidden in a plastic egg. The egg was mixed among 1,500 others at a church's egg hunt on Sunday. Adderall is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and has side effects similar to amphetamines.
Police told AL.com that the child who ate the pill was not injured. Mary Mullen, a church spokeswoman, says the volunteer told organizers about the mix-up before the event, but the hunt went on because he thought he retrieved the egg that contained the medication.
Helm is being held in the Daphne jail, and it is unclear whether he has an attorney. Police said he may be facing up to a year in prison.
“He claimed it was an accident. Primarily the charge will stem from his actions after that. He didn't do enough to recover the egg that had the medication in it and get rid of it,” said Cpl. Jason Vannoy with the Daphne Police Department's Investigation Unit.
Vannoy said they've questioned Helm at length and believe that there was only one egg with medication. However, Christ the King church is asking that the eggs be returned as a precaution.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Chicago cop charged with murder in killing of black teen
- Obama pledges solidarity with France
- Lawyer reveals details of arrest of ‘clock kid’ Ahmed, plans to file suit
- 4 crew members dead after helicopter crashes at Fort Hood
- Healthy diet plan might not work for all, Israeli study reveals
- Nation’s $1 billion defense against biological terrorism faulty, GAO watchdog warns
- 2 men charged with murder in killing of Indianapolis pastor’s wife
- Feds tell railroads they must meet deadlines for lifesaving technology
- Obama moves to shore up allies coalition as rival Russia courts France
- Mars could get Saturn-like rings as moon falls apart
- Dancer, prosthetic leg lost with luggage to be reunited