Shippers new target of DEA drug investigation
In its ongoing effort to crack down on the nation's prescription drug epidemic, the Drug Enforcement Administration has gone after doctors, pharmacists, pharmacy chains, wholesale drug suppliers — and now FedEx and UPS.
Even though the DEA will not confirm it is engaged in the probe, both companies have disclosed in corporate filings that they are targets of a federal investigation related to packages shipped from online pharmacies.
Based on the allegations, it appears federal officials are suggesting the shipping companies take responsibility for the prescription drugs inside packages they are transporting.
FedEx officials have called the California-based probe “absurd and deeply disturbing” and a threat to customers' privacy.
“We are a transportation company — we are not law enforcement, we are not doctors, and we are not pharmacists,” FedEx spokesman Patrick Fitzgerald said in a prepared statement.
Though the probe has been unfolding quietly for several years, the investigation is now gaining headlines and attention from politicians.
FedEx officials say they have had a long history of cooperating with federal law enforcement agencies.
“We have no interest in violating the privacy of our customers by opening and inspecting their packages in an attempt to determine the legality of the contents. We stand ready and willing to support and assist law enforcement,” Fitzgerald stated. “We cannot, however, do their jobs for them.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mideast-North Africa category considered for 2020 Census
- Obama avoids calling terrorist attacks ‘Islamice_SSRq
- Teen girl Hernandez killed by Denver police once cited for resisting arrest
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Tickets let players bring home bacon — scent
- Executive order directs standards to reflect climate change projections
- Pittsburgh travelers feel effects of Northeast blizzard
- Alpha to idle two West Virginia coal mines
- Day, night 4-digit drawings match
- Northeast waits for foot (or 2) of snow to drop
- San Francisco blaze kills Mission District resident