4-year-old girl shot dead in car in Miami
MIAMI — A 4-year-old girl was fatally shot while she sat in a car outside her grandfather's Miami home, and detectives are trying to determine whether another child who was in the vehicle pulled the trigger, police said on Sunday.
The children were waiting in a white Mercedes-Benz on Saturday evening as an adult stood nearby outside in an impoverished neighborhood on the northern edge of Miami-Dade County.
Rahquel Carr was shot in the upper body with a handgun believed to have been fired from inside the vehicle, Miami-Dade Police Detective Roy Rutland said. The owner of the weapon and the car was not present and has not been charged.
At least two other children were in the vehicle at the time, all believed to have been younger than 10, Rutland said. Investigators were speaking with those children, which Rutland said was a delicate process because of their age.
“We are interviewing those kids and we're trying to ascertain if one of the other children shot the kid,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Alpha to idle two West Virginia coal mines
- San Francisco blaze kills Mission District resident
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for president in ’16
- Medicare payments to tie doctor, hospital payments to quality rather than volume of care
- Blizzard howls its way into Boston but largely spares NYC
- National Weather Service to evaluate work after missed call on storm
- Blizzard-stricken East digs out amid forecast 2nd-guessing
- Federal Highway Trust Fund running on empty
- Penn State University eyes changes to sexual misconduct case handling
- Obama calls for government spending surge