4-year-old girl shot dead in car in Miami
MIAMI — A 4-year-old girl was fatally shot while she sat in a car outside her grandfather's Miami home, and detectives are trying to determine whether another child who was in the vehicle pulled the trigger, police said on Sunday.
The children were waiting in a white Mercedes-Benz on Saturday evening as an adult stood nearby outside in an impoverished neighborhood on the northern edge of Miami-Dade County.
Rahquel Carr was shot in the upper body with a handgun believed to have been fired from inside the vehicle, Miami-Dade Police Detective Roy Rutland said. The owner of the weapon and the car was not present and has not been charged.
At least two other children were in the vehicle at the time, all believed to have been younger than 10, Rutland said. Investigators were speaking with those children, which Rutland said was a delicate process because of their age.
“We are interviewing those kids and we're trying to ascertain if one of the other children shot the kid,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- About 6,000 drug inmates await early release from prison
- Drug overdose suspected in death of New York doctor found in lobby
- Tennessee board drops vote on seeking God’s mercy over gay marriage
- Top U.S. general wants more troops in Afghanistan
- Damage from trillions of gallons of rain in week will cost S.C. over $1B
- Number of deported lowest since 2006, AP finds
- FAA wants to fine SkyPan $1.9 million for ‘reckless’ drone operations
- Floods inundate Phoenix
- Fantasy sports websites draw Congress’ eye
- Amtrak CEO says safety mandate threatens service outside Northeast corridor
- Michigan factory supervisor wins $310M Powerball prize