4-year-old girl shot dead in car in Miami
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 9:30 p.m.
MIAMI — A 4-year-old girl was fatally shot while she sat in a car outside her grandfather's Miami home, and detectives are trying to determine whether another child who was in the vehicle pulled the trigger, police said on Sunday.
The children were waiting in a white Mercedes-Benz on Saturday evening as an adult stood nearby outside in an impoverished neighborhood on the northern edge of Miami-Dade County.
Rahquel Carr was shot in the upper body with a handgun believed to have been fired from inside the vehicle, Miami-Dade Police Detective Roy Rutland said. The owner of the weapon and the car was not present and has not been charged.
At least two other children were in the vehicle at the time, all believed to have been younger than 10, Rutland said. Investigators were speaking with those children, which Rutland said was a delicate process because of their age.
“We are interviewing those kids and we're trying to ascertain if one of the other children shot the kid,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hearing to determine fate of sergeant accused of killing 2 deaf Iraqi youths
- Precautions lack year since fatal blast at plant
- Mo. mayor steps down over anti-Semitic comments
- Denver wife killed 12 minutes into 911 call, sparking inquiry
- Images best of readied D-Day ships
- IRS awards millions in bonuses to its people who don’t pay taxes
- Obama surveys mudslide devastation
- Drug crime reclassification to help ex-cons get vote rights
- Postal Service overhaul expected to appeal to Dems
- Justices critical of Ohio law punishing campaign lies
- Moscow to get serious ‘message’ from U.S.