4-year-old girl shot dead in car in Miami
MIAMI — A 4-year-old girl was fatally shot while she sat in a car outside her grandfather's Miami home, and detectives are trying to determine whether another child who was in the vehicle pulled the trigger, police said on Sunday.
The children were waiting in a white Mercedes-Benz on Saturday evening as an adult stood nearby outside in an impoverished neighborhood on the northern edge of Miami-Dade County.
Rahquel Carr was shot in the upper body with a handgun believed to have been fired from inside the vehicle, Miami-Dade Police Detective Roy Rutland said. The owner of the weapon and the car was not present and has not been charged.
At least two other children were in the vehicle at the time, all believed to have been younger than 10, Rutland said. Investigators were speaking with those children, which Rutland said was a delicate process because of their age.
“We are interviewing those kids and we're trying to ascertain if one of the other children shot the kid,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Law enforcement, intelligence agencies want to ‘like’ you on social media
- Lone clinic in Miss. for abortions still stands
- Move over, Mickey, here comes Crayola
- Stoned volunteers test drug, alcohol effect on driving
- GAO seeks more drinking water safeguards
- Ebola only a plane ride away from U.S.
- Surgeon general echoes warnings about skin cancer
- Obama’s many rules often violate statute
- N.H. kidnapping suspect held on $1M bail
- Swift action expected of VA’s new secretary
- Met Museum of Art president to retire