4-year-old girl shot dead in car in Miami
MIAMI — A 4-year-old girl was fatally shot while she sat in a car outside her grandfather's Miami home, and detectives are trying to determine whether another child who was in the vehicle pulled the trigger, police said on Sunday.
The children were waiting in a white Mercedes-Benz on Saturday evening as an adult stood nearby outside in an impoverished neighborhood on the northern edge of Miami-Dade County.
Rahquel Carr was shot in the upper body with a handgun believed to have been fired from inside the vehicle, Miami-Dade Police Detective Roy Rutland said. The owner of the weapon and the car was not present and has not been charged.
At least two other children were in the vehicle at the time, all believed to have been younger than 10, Rutland said. Investigators were speaking with those children, which Rutland said was a delicate process because of their age.
“We are interviewing those kids and we're trying to ascertain if one of the other children shot the kid,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Video of white Chicago patrolman fatally firing on fleeing black youth sparks demonstrations
- Foreign policy expert: Obama administration should create Syria safe areas
- Self-driving vehicles closer to getting green light as feds ease stance
- Email address gives FBI lead on record theft of user IDs, passwords
- GOP readies next assault on health care law
- Kentucky Gov. Beshear restores right to vote for thousands of nonviolent felons
- 4 dead in Fort Hood chopper crash
- House Republicans call for refugee limits in spending bill
- Traffic deaths rise sharply in United States
- Poll: 4 in 10 know someone who has been addicted to prescription painkillers
- Obama, Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State