TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Trayvon Martin's parents settle wrongful death claim against homeowners association

Daily Photo Galleries

By Orlando Sentinel
Friday, April 5, 2013, 7:06 p.m.
 

SANFORD, Fla. — Trayvon Martin's parents have settled a wrongful death claim for an amount believed to be more than $1 million against the homeowners association of the Sanford subdivision where their teenage son was killed.

Their attorney, Benjamin Crump, filed that paperwork in the Seminole County Courthouse, a portion of which was made public on Friday.

In the five pages of the settlement that were available for public review, the settlement amount had been marked out. Lower in the agreement, the parties specified that they would keep that amount confidential.

When asked during an earlier interview whether the amount was higher than $1 million, Crump said: “I have no comment on that subject. I know you did not get that from me.”

Trayvon was shot to death by Neighborhood Watch volunteer George Zimmerman at the Retreat at Twin Lakes townhomes in Sanford on Feb. 26, 2012. Zimmerman served as head of the Neighborhood Watch and called police that evening, describing Trayvon as suspicious. He has said the teen attacked him and he fired in self-defense.

The homeowners association president, Don O'Brien, did not return phone calls from the Orlando Sentinel about the settlement. Neither did its attorney, Thomas R. Slaten Jr.

The association's insurer, Travelers Casualty and Surety Co. of America, filed suit in federal court in August, asking a judge to clarify its liability in the case, but that suit was dropped a few months later.

The Travelers' attorney handling the case, John Catizone, did not return phone calls.

During an interview in February, Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, said Trayvon's parents had made a wrongful death claim against the home­owners association. They had tried to settle through mediation, he said, and the association or its insurer had offered $1 million but Trayvon's parents had rejected that amount.

O'Mara said the two parties then renewed talks and agreed to settle several months ago.

Crump has made clear that he intends to file suit later against Zimmerman, and the settlement spelled out that Zimmerman was not part of this deal.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. Mountaineer workers fear smoking ban will harm ‘livelihood’
  2. Fire season expected to accelerate
  3. Man told transit police the Boston Marathon bomber ‘was my best friend’
  4. Obamacare enrollees strain Medicaid in Oregon
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.