Mississippi detective shot, killed with own gun during interrogation, investigators say
JACKSON, Miss. — The police detective killed while interrogating a murder suspect at department headquarters in Mississippi's capital city was shot four times before the suspect shot himself in the head, authorities said Friday
Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart told The Associated Press that Jackson Police Detective Eric Smith was shot twice in the chest and twice in the arm with a 9 mm pistol.
Jeremy Powell, 23, wrested Smith's gun away while he was being questioned, shot the detective, then himself, Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain said.
Jackson authorities said the shooting happened in a third-floor interrogation room while Smith was seeking information on a stabbing death earlier this week.
Powell had one gunshot in his head, the coroner said.
Smith, 40, had been with the police department nearly 20 years and was assigned to the Robbery-Homicide Division. The physically fit Smith was praised for his work leading numerous high-profile murder investigations, officials said.
Ken Winter, executive director of the Mississippi Association of Chiefs of Police, said it's not unusual for an officer to be armed during an interview unless it's being conducted in a secure area, like a jail. Jails typically require all visitors to check their weapons, including law enforcement officers.
Winter spent 36 years in law enforcement as a police chief, a detective and as director of the state crime lab.
“For him to be armed, I'd expect that,” Winter said. “I don't think I did an interview when I wasn't armed, unless I was doing it in the jail.”
But it is rare for an officer to be killed inside a police department, Winter said. He said he couldn't recall such an instance in recent years in Mississippi.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Family of woman found dead in Texas jail files wrongful death suit
- GOP hopefuls take on illegal immigration in debate preview
- 2 women advance to final phase of Army Ranger training
- Hitchhiking robot’s journey west cut short in Philly
- Heavy rain, flooding soak Tampa Bay area
- State Department accuses top Clinton aide of violations
- Who wins, who loses under stricter power plant limits
- Hurricane Guillermo downgraded to tropical storm
- Fetal parts in Planned Parenthood lab shown in 4th video
- West Virginia on pace to issue record number of concealed-carry permits
- Obama orders steeper emission cuts from power plants