4 charged in murder of Nevada's chief insurance examiner
RENO — Investigators believe four suspects stole property in the apartment of Nevada's chief insurance examiner, then killed him and dumped his body in a river, authorities said on Sunday.
Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong said all four suspects have been booked on murder charges in the death of William McCune, 62, whose blanket-wrapped, duct-tape-bound body was found Saturday.
Initially, Michael Evans, 23, and Anthony Elliot, 20, were booked on murder charges, while Raul Garcia, 22, and Makyla Blackmore, 20, were arrested on burglary charges. But Furlong said that Garcia and Blackmore were later booked on murder charges.
The suspects are from the Carson City area, he said, and the case isn't related to McCune's work for the state.
Investigators found evidence of a bloody, violent struggle in McCune's apartment on Thursday, the same day he was reported missing when he failed to catch a business flight with a co-worker.
Detectives believe McCune knew two of the suspects socially, Furlong said, and the possible motive was the theft of property or money from him driven by illegal drug use. They're still processing evidence at McCune's apartment and trying to compile an accurate list of stolen items, he said.
“We think stealing was quite apparently the motive because they took so much from him,” Furlong said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sunlight reduces risk of nearsightedness in children, study suggests
- Boys in New York buried for hours in snow pile
- Homeless woman’s stun gun spurs 2nd Amendment case
- Bombers to train over Plains
- Maine State Prison draws Black Friday shoppers
- Ferguson-related unrest disrupts Black Friday shopping in several cities
- FBI uses journalists as bait for terrorists, escapee from Syrian group says
- Texan who targeted Mexican consulate in Austin killed in shootout with police
- Brown family blasts prosecutor; Wilson speaks
- U.S. releases ‘forever prisoner’ from Gitmo
- With no indictment, chaos fills Ferguson streets