2 killed, 40 hurt in Texas crash of tour bus on way to casino
IRVING, Texas — At least two people were killed and more than 40 were hospitalized when a charter bus careened off a North Texas highway and flipped onto its side on Thursday, drawing a large emergency response as rescue crews struggled to reach victims inside, authorities said.
The Cardinal Coach Line bus was carrying mostly senior citizens when it suddenly weaved across the busy highway, striking two concrete barriers, and toppled over in the center median, witnesses said. The wreck occurred on President George Bush Turnpike in Irving, just east of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.
“It was pretty bad, people screaming,” said Ed Cluck, who stopped after driving by the wreck and seeing smoke. He said he popped the bus' roof hatches and helped six to eight people escape.
“It was just people stacked on top of each other,” he said.
“It's just a lot of injuries, a lot of people in shock, broken bones,” added Robert Hare, another motorist who stopped to help. He said many passengers were crying and appeared to be in shock as they were pulled from the wreckage.
The bus, which was carrying about 45 people, was on its way to a casino in Oklahoma, authorities said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S. clears police officer in Ferguson case, criticizes police force
- Tsarnaev’s lawyer admits he carried out Boston bombing
- Case on Obamacare tax subsidies heads to Supreme Court
- Physicians’ organization cites shortages of doctors will grow, mostly in senior care
- Expanded background checks pushed again on gun show, Internet purchases
- Feds raid ‘maternity hotels’ in Ca.
- States ask judge not to lift stay in immigration lawsuit
- Mother of 12-year-old shot dead by police criticizes Cleveland for faulting son, failing to apologize
- Supremacist to go on trial for capital murder in slayings of 3 at Jewish sites in Kan.
- FDA orders warning on testosterone pills
- Petraeus, Justice Department reach plea deal on secret info given to mistress