PAC seeks to support bearded candidates
COLUMBIA, Mo. — A Columbia school board member is rallying for his fellow hirsute politicians in need of more campaign cash.
Jonathan Sessions and a friend have created a political action committee known as Bearded Entrepreneurs for the Advancement of a Responsible Democracy. That's BEARD, for short.
Sessions was coy as to whether the independent expenditure committee is an act of satire or a legitimate super PAC created to raise unlimited donations, the Columbia Missourian reported this week . The group recently registered with the Federal Elections Committee.
“We're as serious as the opportunity to raise unlimited funds and spend them toward campaigning with little accountability,” he said with a laugh.
The 30-year-old information technology specialist said he's worn a beard continuously for the past eight years. So do many of his peers — just not the ones in elected office, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Doctors push end-of-life care talks
- 2 bodies found at site of gas explosion in NYC apartments
- Despite high gas costs, Northeast resistant to pipelines
- Pence: ‘Not going to change’ religious freedom law
- Before leak, NSA mulled ending phone program
- Drownings in Rio Grande spike as enforcement surges
- Burgettstown man charged with murder escapes psychiatric hospital
- Bergdahl deserted his post, military says; he could get life behind bars
- Feds arrest guardsman, cousin for terror plot on military facility
- Report: DEA prostitutes paid by cartel
- Watchdog: Policy over visas broke, but not law