PAC seeks to support bearded candidates
COLUMBIA, Mo. — A Columbia school board member is rallying for his fellow hirsute politicians in need of more campaign cash.
Jonathan Sessions and a friend have created a political action committee known as Bearded Entrepreneurs for the Advancement of a Responsible Democracy. That's BEARD, for short.
Sessions was coy as to whether the independent expenditure committee is an act of satire or a legitimate super PAC created to raise unlimited donations, the Columbia Missourian reported this week . The group recently registered with the Federal Elections Committee.
“We're as serious as the opportunity to raise unlimited funds and spend them toward campaigning with little accountability,” he said with a laugh.
The 30-year-old information technology specialist said he's worn a beard continuously for the past eight years. So do many of his peers — just not the ones in elected office, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Surge in small drones making airline pilots nervous
- Fewer adults smoking, U.S. survey finds
- In Ferguson, demonstrations over black youth’s slaying by police officer peter out
- Boston airport’s ‘naked man’ remains behind bars
- House ethics panel defers campaign finance investigation of New York Rep. Grimm
- Liberal Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg has stent placed in heart artery
- Fissures begin to emerge among Dems
- Obama’s immigration actions neglect business pleas
- Test vaccine to fight Ebola promising
- Rookie Cleveland police officer acted within 2 seconds to shoot 12-year-old boy
- Many older people silently harbor gene mutation that could start them on the path to blood cancer