PAC seeks to support bearded candidates
COLUMBIA, Mo. — A Columbia school board member is rallying for his fellow hirsute politicians in need of more campaign cash.
Jonathan Sessions and a friend have created a political action committee known as Bearded Entrepreneurs for the Advancement of a Responsible Democracy. That's BEARD, for short.
Sessions was coy as to whether the independent expenditure committee is an act of satire or a legitimate super PAC created to raise unlimited donations, the Columbia Missourian reported this week . The group recently registered with the Federal Elections Committee.
“We're as serious as the opportunity to raise unlimited funds and spend them toward campaigning with little accountability,” he said with a laugh.
The 30-year-old information technology specialist said he's worn a beard continuously for the past eight years. So do many of his peers — just not the ones in elected office, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCarthy withdraws candidacy for speaker
- Alaska to feel remnants of former Hurricane Oho
- Ex-CEO of Chicago Public Schools to plead guilty to $23 million kickback scheme
- Longtime Mars lakes tantalize NASA scientists
- Oregon college town sets gun rights protest for Obama visit
- Coal industry seeks unusual partner in UN green climate fund
- South Carolina capital’s drinking water at risk
- Dozens of terror plots disrupted in America, FBI claims
- Foes of California mandatory vaccine law fail in repeal bid
- Hero in French train terrorist attack injured in bar brawl
- FDA sued for failing to regulate salt in food