PAC seeks to support bearded candidates
COLUMBIA, Mo. — A Columbia school board member is rallying for his fellow hirsute politicians in need of more campaign cash.
Jonathan Sessions and a friend have created a political action committee known as Bearded Entrepreneurs for the Advancement of a Responsible Democracy. That's BEARD, for short.
Sessions was coy as to whether the independent expenditure committee is an act of satire or a legitimate super PAC created to raise unlimited donations, the Columbia Missourian reported this week . The group recently registered with the Federal Elections Committee.
“We're as serious as the opportunity to raise unlimited funds and spend them toward campaigning with little accountability,” he said with a laugh.
The 30-year-old information technology specialist said he's worn a beard continuously for the past eight years. So do many of his peers — just not the ones in elected office, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mountaineer workers fear smoking ban will harm ‘livelihood’
- To fight crime, Chicago tries wiping away arrests
- HGH use on the rise in teens, survey finds
- Cyber domain is next battleground, authors of 9/11 report warn
- For more than 8 decades, N.Y. farmer has kept eye to the sky
- Explosion levels home in Central Texas; 3 hurt
- Montana judge censured over rape case comments
- VA nominee to demand ‘urgent action,’ he tells panel
- U.S. intel believes civilian plane might have been mistaken for Ukraine military aircraft
- Perdue defeats Kingston in Ga. GOP Senate runoff
- UCLA says $300,000 speaking fee paid Hillary Clinton came from private endowment