PAC seeks to support bearded candidates
COLUMBIA, Mo. — A Columbia school board member is rallying for his fellow hirsute politicians in need of more campaign cash.
Jonathan Sessions and a friend have created a political action committee known as Bearded Entrepreneurs for the Advancement of a Responsible Democracy. That's BEARD, for short.
Sessions was coy as to whether the independent expenditure committee is an act of satire or a legitimate super PAC created to raise unlimited donations, the Columbia Missourian reported this week . The group recently registered with the Federal Elections Committee.
“We're as serious as the opportunity to raise unlimited funds and spend them toward campaigning with little accountability,” he said with a laugh.
The 30-year-old information technology specialist said he's worn a beard continuously for the past eight years. So do many of his peers — just not the ones in elected office, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pot doctors in medical marijuana states push boundaries with marketing
- Upstate New York town threatened by Arizona man in online post, reports say
- Iraq War veteran, mother of 2 slain in Colorado clinic rampage
- New Navy destroyer Zumwalt’s seaworthiness questioned before sea trials
- Colorado clinic shooting suspect talked of baby parts, police say
- Storm lingers in southern Plains
- Hunt on for mother of baby buried alive in California
- Email address gives FBI lead on record theft of user IDs, passwords
- Disability claim waits grow alongside swelling caseloads for judges
- ‘12 Days of Christmas’ items top $34K, up 0.6 percent
- Suspected tornadoes sweep through as Texas recovers from hurricane