PAC seeks to support bearded candidates
COLUMBIA, Mo. — A Columbia school board member is rallying for his fellow hirsute politicians in need of more campaign cash.
Jonathan Sessions and a friend have created a political action committee known as Bearded Entrepreneurs for the Advancement of a Responsible Democracy. That's BEARD, for short.
Sessions was coy as to whether the independent expenditure committee is an act of satire or a legitimate super PAC created to raise unlimited donations, the Columbia Missourian reported this week . The group recently registered with the Federal Elections Committee.
“We're as serious as the opportunity to raise unlimited funds and spend them toward campaigning with little accountability,” he said with a laugh.
The 30-year-old information technology specialist said he's worn a beard continuously for the past eight years. So do many of his peers — just not the ones in elected office, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Colorado’s neighbors challenge legal pot sales
- U.S. to open embassy in Cuba soon
- Feds to sue New York City over civil rights of teen inmates in Rikers jail
- All companies now on alert for hackers
- Boston Marathon bomb suspect Tsarnaev back in court
- Wis. girls who stabbed classmate deemed competent for trial
- Obama, now unbridled, quickly checking off to-do list
- Federal group will aim to instill police-public trust
- Los Angeles apartment complex fire deliberately set, ATF investigators find
- West Virginia man dies after being shot with arrow in Wellsburg
- Panel review says Secret Service ‘starved for leadership’