Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arizona county clears girl shooter in gun range death
- AFL-CIO’s Trumka urges action to push the political left to polls
- Military pilot was killed in Va. crash
- Death Valley ‘sailing rocks’ linked to freeze-warm cycle
- Prison term for Detroit porch gunman debated
- Obama rules out military response
- Judge reaffirms Texas’ ‘Robin Hood’ system of school funding unconstitutional
- Obama backs off immigration vow
- U.S. waffling on ISIS feeds confusion among possible allies
- Ferguson sued over police actions amid riots
- Study examines body’s bacteria on move indoors