Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- License plate scanner networks gotcha
- Convicted Florida felon kills his 6 grandchildren, daughter, self
- FBI, federal marshals join manhunt for survivalist accused of ambushing troopers
- Home Depot warns 56 million cards at risk
- Artificial sweeteners possible contributors to diabetes, obesity
- Dog gone for 4 months found 3,000 miles from home
- Al-Qaida cell poses as great a danger as ISIS
- Deputy vanishes amid Texas flooding
- House panel OKs move to split Amtrak, focus on profitable Northeast Corridor
- White House orders plan for antibiotic resistance problem
- Training, equipping Syrian rebels approved by Senate