Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Drink of the Devil’ unites formerly feuding families
- NASA satellite to track water in soil
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Big Bang ‘waves’ go poof under analysis
- Internet rules in line for big shift
- Overhaul of military benefit programs sought
- Chris Kyle Day declared in Texas to honor SEAL of ‘American Sniper’ movie fame
- Obama calls for government spending surge
- Large pipelines proposed to carry gas from shale formations
- Judge expresses doubt about constitutionality of no-fly list
- Brooklyn warehouse goes up in smoke