Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Suspect in Colorado attack called loner who left few clues
- Nuclear crossroad: California reactors face uncertain future
- Plasma burp seen in star’s destruction by black hole
- Floods claim lives in Texas
- Chicago retail district targeted by protesters
- American held captive in Cuba for 5 years expected quick release
- White House fence jumper captured on lawn
- Man accused of jumping White House fence left suicide note, authorities say
- Democrats face long odds in battle for lost congressional seats
- Prescription skin drug costs skyrocket
- Hawaii confronts dengue fever cases