Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mountaineer workers fear smoking ban will harm ‘livelihood’
- Perdue defeats Kingston in Ga. GOP Senate runoff
- HGH use on the rise in teens, survey finds
- U.S. intel believes civilian plane might have been mistaken for Ukraine military aircraft
- Montana judge censured over rape case comments
- To fight crime, Chicago tries wiping away arrests
- Cyber domain is next battleground, authors of 9/11 report warn
- For more than 8 decades, N.Y. farmer has kept eye to the sky
- Defiant Vietnam POW honored
- Autistic twin men locked up in Maryland home
- ‘Slenderman’ attack victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous well wisher