Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ebola only a plane ride away from U.S.
- Deal to improve veterans’ health care costs $17B
- GAO seeks more drinking water safeguards
- $17B remedy for VA pitched
- Medicare finances improve as health care inflation slows, trustees say
- Powerful tornado surprises area near Boston
- Defense workers with security clearance owed millions in back taxes, GAO finds
- Jury picked for trial of former Virginia governor, wife
- ‘Pawn Stars’ store owner plans nearby shopping plaza
- Obama mulls large-scale move on immigration
- House bill lets airlines advertise pre-tax fares