Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Exhibit reproduces painter Frida Kahlo’s inspiration
- Protester leaves Shell ship north of Seattle; 1 remains
- Iraqi troops lack ‘will to fight,’ Secretary of Defense Carter says
- Navy divers to salvage remains of Confederate warship in Georgia
- Florida mother who refused circumcision for son, 4, freed
- Housing authority officer shot dead in New Orleans
- Chicago inmate eats screws, needles, amasses $1M medical tab
- Cleveland protests of officer’s acquittal mostly peaceful
- Rare sighting of bird thrills watchers in Kansas
- Senator Warren calls for public hearings on bank waivers
- After bruising safety crisis, U.S. car watchdog shows its bite