Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
By The Associated Press
Published: Saturday, May 4, 2013, 6:31 p.m.
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hearing to determine fate of sergeant accused of killing 2 deaf Iraqi youths
- Precautions lack year since fatal blast at plant
- Mo. mayor steps down over anti-Semitic comments
- Justices uphold Michigan ban on affirmative action, giving states room to maneuver
- Gun background checks miss fugitives
- Little toxicity data exists for tainted W.Va. water
- Details about USS Cole suspect’s stint in CIA custody must be turned over
- Images best of readied D-Day ships
- Senator pitches gasoline tax increase
- IRS awards millions in bonuses to its people who don’t pay taxes
- Foundation gives $13M to promote Obamacare