Polar bear cubs on display in Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio — Twin polar bear cubs have made their debut in The Toledo Zoo and are on display for the first time.
The cubs were born in November, and zoo officials say they're the only cubs in the country being raised by their mother.
They were named Suka and Sakari earlier this week; a naming contest drew hundreds of votes.
Zoo officials say the cubs should be on display with their mother daily, but could be off exhibit periodically depending on weather conditions and their unique needs.
The zoo says the cubs have an important future as ambassadors for their species, which is endangered and facing dire threats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Los Angeles police kill man in struggle captured on video
- Lawmakers press Veterans Affairs for improved access to rural health care
- Natural gas royalties lawsuit hinges on transaction date
- 2 W.Va. coal operators sentenced in scheme
- Deadly bacteria release spurs concern at Louisiana lab
- Nurse who survived Ebola virus says Dallas hospital failed her
- Dead dog found in pickup truck in icy river
- GOP senators pledge help if court bars health care law subsidies
- No signs of deal on Homeland funding
- California GOP officially recognizes 1st gay group
- Cold, snow break February records in Northeast